[AI-announce] New Course on Information Theory (this upcoming summer semester 2023)

Michael Walter michael.walter at rub.de
Di Mär 21 19:04:11 CET 2023

Dear students,

I would like to take this opportunity to announce a new course, which some of you might have missed due to the faculty homepage not having been fully up to date:

Title: Information Theory (2+2 SWS)
Teaser: https://qi.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/it_ss23_teaser.pdf
Course homepage: https://qi.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/it_ss23

In this course, we will discuss how to mathematically model information, how to optimally compress it, how to design error-correcting codes that allow communicating reliably in the presence of errors, and what the ultimate limits are for such problems. In addition to learning some beautiful theory, you also get to code things up in the exercises.

As a general guideline, I'd suggest taking this course in the 3rd year BSc or the 1st year MSc, but it can also be taken earlier. Please see the course homepage for more information, and feel free to get in touch with questions.

Best wishes,
Michael Walter