[Geoqus] Erosion and surface modification with ABAQUS

Kasper Fischer kasper.fischer at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Sep 16 16:36:55 CEST 2003

Hi Vincent Godard,

first of all I want to welcome You to the Geoqus User Group. You
will
find more about Geoqus on
http://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/geoqus

I am working with Abaqus for many years. During my Ph.D I have
worked on
the same topic as You. The interaction of tectonic and surface
processes. It is possible to do the task You want to do, but it is a
little bit tricky. I used a feature of Abaqus to add or delete
elements
during the calculation. This can be done very easily but one has to
figure out which element is affected. The main disadventage is
that the
topography is very coarse since the size of the elements can't be
too
small for a good performance. I have done this with the old
version of
Abaqus (v. 5.8) and an IDL interface which read in the results of
the
program to calculate the erosion and sedimentation (Golem by Greg
Tucker) and deciding on the results where to add or remove
elements. The
current version of Abaqus (v. 6.3) has a scripting interface
(python)
which might make things easier. If You want I can send You the
IDL scripts.

A other choice would be to move only the surface nodes of the
elements.
But I was not sure how this can be done in Abaqus and if it is
possible
what happens to internal stress and strain values of the affected
element. Maybe somebody else has an idea or done this?

I hope that I could help You and I am looking forward to
discussing this
topic here.

Kasper Fischer

--