[Geoqus] Wish lists for Abaqus

Gabriele Morra morrag at student.ethz.ch
Sat Apr 3 14:24:31 CEST 2004

Hi Susan,
  this is a great news. Indeed I have several improvements to propose.
Perhaps we can make a list and send it to the Abaqus dealer of each
country where we work. This would probably make pressure on them and
raise the chances of having soon news.

1)  I have also written a code to couple with Abaqus but I also had
this problem of not having access to all the variables. It would be
really a great improvement to have the possibility to couple ABAQUS
with an own code! Along this direction, if to expand GETVRM to all the
subroutines is not possible, I would at least propose to have the
possibility to run a subroutine at beginning of each increment with
full access to all the variables in the model, of all the nodes and
elements, and the possibility to modify fields, dloads, etc.

2) The possibility to implement shear stress within the *DLOAD call and
not only as *CLOAD? A call to a subroutine for *CLOAD.

3) Remeshing in Abaqus Explicit produces a diffusion often too high for
modeling many Earth systems (shear zones, ...). I would like to use my
own remeshing algorithm in Explicit (if possible, also in Standard). It
could be inserted also here a call to an external program at the
beginning of each increment. In the external code I would have the
possibility to modify the mesh and also the technique to trace the
different material properties. (e.g. with active tracers or a
semi-lagrangian advective routine).

4) I also would like to have heat generation due to plastic
and creep dissipation energy available for all
types of element, and all forms of plasticity

Cheers
Gabriele Morra
Geophysics Institute
ETH Zurich