[Geoqus] Calculix

Gabriele Morra gabriele.morra at erdw.ethz.ch
Sat Sep 17 14:48:02 CEST 2005

Dear geoqus members,
  I think it could be of general interests for all of you to know
that there is a free source code, called Calculix, which reproduces
the mechanical implicit solver of abaqus and performs substantially
the same for geodynamic application. I tested it during few months
and I found that one obtains exactly the same results of ABAQUS for a
general 3-dimensional simulation of visco-elastic creep and visco-
elastic plate bending. Given that it is open source and the input
file of Calculix is the same file.inp of abaqus, it would be great if
others would try to use it and test it.

For my work this is a long step forward, because I developed a
coupled BEM-FEM algorithm, somehow complicated to implement with
abaqus employing the user-subroutines. Therefore now I am extracting
from Calculix the routines that are useful for Geodynamics
applications: viscoelastic creep, three-dimensional three-quadratic
elements, the implicit solver, and most important the large strain
formulation. The code is indeed much larger and mostly written in
fortran 77. I am trying to embed or rewrite the useful routines in a
Python framework in which I already wrote the BEM code.

If anybody is interested in this porting to geodynamics of the FEM
code, it would be great to benchmark and test it together. To have
substantially an open source version of ABAQUS can be a breakthrough
for geo-mechanical applications in geoscience.
The code is developed by a German Mechanical Engineer (Guido Dhondt).
The source and the documentation can be downloaded from the web-sites
www.calculix.de or www.dhondt.de.

Regards
Gabriele Morra
ETH Zurich