[Geoqus] ABAQUS session at AGU Spring meeting in Mexico

Jolante W. Van Wijk jolante at lanl.gov
Wed Jan 10 22:30:59 CET 2007

Dear Colleague,

AGU's Spring Joint Assembly Meeting will provide a timely and unique
opportunity to meet with fellow researchers who are using ABAQUS for
Earth Science applications through a special 'Earth and Space Science
Informatics' session titled "ABAQUS in Geoscientific Applications".

We invite you to submit an abstract to this session and join us for a
productive discussion about the application, issues, and concerns
with using ABAQUS for geomechanical modeling.

AGU Joint Assembly is held from May 22-25 in Acapulco, Mexico.
The deadline for receipt of abstracts is March 1 2007.
<http://www.agu.org/meetings/ja07/?content=search&show=detail&sessid=334>http://www.agu.org/meetings/ja07/?content=search&show=detail&sessid=334

To help with the planning, we would like to create a tentative list
of interested attendees in the near future. Please send an email to
one of us if you are considering attending the Joint Assembly Meeting
in Acapulco and might be submitting an abstract.

We hope to see you in Acapulco in May!

Kind regards,

David Coblentz (coblentz at lanl.gov)
Jolante van Wijk (jolante at lanl.gov)

Description of session:

The number of researchers using the commercial finite element software
ABAQUS (SIMULIA / ABAQUS, Inc.) for solving geoscientific problems is
steadily growing and the range of applications now spans a broad
spectrum of the geosciences.  In this session, we seek to bring together
scientists from such diverse fields as postglacial surface motions,
fault zone and earthquake dynamics, crust-and lithosphere scale
deformation, and lithosphere-mantle interactions (subduction zones) to
discuss issues associated with using ABAQUS for geoscience research.
We anticipate a lively discussion on topics such as meshing methods,
rheological models, initial and boundary conditions, and faulting and
fracture mechanics.