[Geoqus] Simulation of Drilling Step

Manooch Salehabadi Manooch.Salehabadi at pet.hw.ac.uk
Thu Apr 12 10:47:50 CEST 2007

Dear All,

Hi, I came across of a question during my modelling.

Normally for simulating of drilling step in well bore stability, some
researchers have used Model Change command to simulate drilling step by
removing some elements (filled elements) after Geostatic step.

Can we simulate drilling step by putting fixed displacement in direction
1 and 2 on well bore surface (it is clear the in this way it is not
necessary to consider filling element in model geometry and mesh) at
initial condition to equilibrate initial stresses and then removing
these fixed displacements to simulate drilling step?

Has any body tried this approach or is it logical from numerical point
of view?

I am much appreciated for any comment.

Regards

Manooch