[Geoqus] ON ROCK SLOPE STABILITY ANALYSIS

Bassam Saad, Mr bassam.saad at mail.mcgill.ca
Tue Nov 11 18:17:40 CET 2008

I am conducting a rock stability analysis:

On the geological map I have only coulpe of lines each shows one fault. I projected these lines on the topographic map and I can see that one line is intersecting the slope contour and another is parrelle to the slope countors. My quesions are:

1- How I measure the strike (angle) of the fault and the strike (angle) of the slope face on the map . Is the dip direction angle = Strike+90. Plesae see attachment

2- If I want to consider a slope cross section for analysis for plane failure then according to Hoek, Plane failure is potential only if : "The dip direction of the planar discontinuity must be within 20 degrees of the dip direction of the slope face".  Does that mean : I measure the strike angle of each and if the GEOMETRIC difference between them is > 20 degree then no potential for planner failure.

also According to Hoek role the fault parrelle to the slope countors will be the most dangerous one as far as the planner failure is concerned.. right.?

3-By the away, in slope stability analysis should the slope cross section analyzed be alwasy prependicualr to the slope coutours.

Thanks alot for considering my questions.