[Geoqus] Subduction zone dynamics at EGU 2011

Francesca Funiciello francesca.funiciello at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 10:56:27 CET 2010

 Dear colleagues,

We would like to make an early announcement of our session 'Subduction zone
dynamics from the surface to the lower mantle' at
next year's EGU and encourage you to submit an abstract. Our session is part
of an exciting subduction zone programme which
will surely generate great discussions.

We are pleased to announce our two invited presenters:
Diane Arcay (Geosciences Montpellier, France)
Vlad Manea (Computational Geodynamics Laboratory, UNAM, Mexico)
and hope you will join them in presenting your work on subduction zones!

More information on our session can be found below and on:
http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2011/session/6973

The EGU General Assembly is from 3 to 8 April 2011 and the abstract deadline
is 10 January 2011.

We look forward to discussing subduction zone dynamics with you!
Susanne, Francesca and Jeroen

GD5.1/GMPV41/SM4.5/TS6.9
Subduction zone dynamics from the surface to the lower mantle
Conveners: Susanne Buiter, Francesca Funiciello and Jeroen van Hunen

Subduction drives plate tectonics, forms continents, and transports surface
material to the deep Earth. Therefore, it is arguably the most important
geodynamical and geochemical phenomenon on Earth. Seismological data show a
fascinating range in shapes of subducting slabs with structures interpreted
as resulting from roll-over, buckling, dripping, draping or avalanching
through the base of the upper mantle. Arc volcanism illustrates the
complexity of geochemical and petrological phenomena associated with
subduction. Surface topography provides insight in the orogenic processes
related to subduction and continental collision. Numerical and laboratory
modelling studies have successfully reproduced many of these shapes and
processes, but with different technical approaches, set-ups, inputs and
material properties, and a consistent picture has so far not emerged.

In this session, we aim to follow subducting lithosphere on their journey
from the surface down into the Earth's mantle. Examples of questions we seek
to address are: How do near-surface processes, such as erosion and
accretionary wedge tectonics, influence dynamics of slabs in the mantle?
What is the importance of subducting seamounts, LIPs, and ridges? What is
the role of phase transitions and the migration of fluids and melts? Which
are the controlling parameters for slab dip angle? What is the fate of
subducted crust, sediments and volatiles? What is the influence of the
mantle wedge and the back-arc on slab dynamics? How does slab break-off
occur? How are mantle wedge geodynamics and geochemistry linked?

With this session we aim to further our knowledge about subduction processes
by combining insights from many different disciplines. Therefore, we invite
contributions from a wide range of disciplines, including and certainly not
limited to geodynamics, modelling, geochemistry, mineralogy, petrology and
seismology, to discuss subduction zone dynamics at all scales from the
surface to the lower mantle.