[Geoqus] Subduction zone dynamics at EGU 2011

ffunicie at uniroma3.it ffunicie at uniroma3.it
Tue Jan 4 23:57:13 CET 2011

Dear colleagues,

With the abstract deadline of 10 January just a few days away we
would like to encourage you to submit an abstract to our session
'Subduction zone dynamics from the surface to the lower mantle' at
the EGU meeting.
Our session is part of an exciting subduction zone programme which
will surely generate great discussions.

We are pleased to announce our two invited presenters:

- Diane Arcay (Geosciences Montpellier, France)
- Vlad Manea (Computational Geodynamics Laboratory, UNAM, Mexico)

and hope you will join them in presenting your work on subduction
zones!

More information on our session can be found below and on:
http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2011/session/6973

The EGU General Assembly is from 3 to 8 April 2011 and the abstract
deadline is 10 January 2011.

We look forward to discussing subduction zone dynamics with you!
Susanne, Francesca and Jeroen

GD5.1/GMPV41/SM4.5/TS6.9
Subduction zone dynamics from the surface to the lower mantle
Conveners: Susanne Buiter, Francesca Funiciello and Jeroen van Hunen

Subduction drives plate tectonics, forms continents, and transports
surface material to the deep Earth. Therefore, it is arguably the
most important geodynamical and geochemical phenomenon on Earth.
Seismological data show a fascinating range in shapes of subducting
slabs with structures interpreted as resulting from roll-over,
buckling, dripping, draping or avalanching through the base of the
upper mantle. Arc volcanism illustrates the complexity of
geochemical and petrological phenomena associated with subduction.
Surface topography provides insight in the orogenic processes
related to subduction and continental collision. Numerical and
laboratory modelling studies have successfully reproduced many of
these shapes and processes, but with different technical approaches,
set-ups, inputs and material properties, and a consistent picture
has so far not emerged.

In this session, we aim to follow subducting lithosphere on their
journey from the surface down into the Earth's mantle. Examples of
questions we seek to address are: How do near-surface processes,
such as erosion and accretionary wedge tectonics, influence dynamics
of slabs in the mantle? What is the importance of subducting
seamounts, LIPs, and ridges? What is the role of phase transitions
and the migration of fluids and melts? Which are the controlling
parameters for slab dip angle? What is the fate of subducted crust,
sediments and volatiles? What is the influence of the mantle wedge
and the back-arc on slab dynamics? How does slab break-off occur?
How are mantle wedge geodynamics and geochemistry linked?

With this session we aim to further our knowledge about subduction
processes by combining insights from many different disciplines.
Therefore, we invite contributions from a wide range of disciplines,
including and certainly not limited to geodynamics, modelling,
geochemistry, mineralogy, petrology and seismology, to discuss
subduction zone dynamics at all scales from the surface to the lower
mantle.