[Geoqus] GIA session @ EGU2013 in Vienna

Holger Steffen holger-soren.steffen at lm.se
Thu Jan 3 09:59:53 CET 2013

(with apologies for multiple postings)

Dear colleagues,

Happy New Year!

The deadline (January 9th, 2013) for submitting an abstract to the General
Assembly of EGU to be held in Vienna, Austria, 7-12 April, 2013, is
approaching.

Bert Vermeersen, Markku Poutanen, Tom James, Willy Fjeldskaar, and myself are
inviting you to submit your contribution to the interdisciplinary session on
glacial isostatic adjustment (GIA): G3.1/CR3.9/GD1.4/TS1.5 Glacial Isostatic
Adjustment, Mantle Viscosity and Ice Sheet Fluctuations.

Please note that we plan a special issue together with DynaQlim. Please
consider this opportunity when submitting an abstract to this session.

Our keynote speaker is Erik Ivins.

We look forward to meet you in Vienna,

Bert, Holger, Markku, Tom and Willy

Glacial isostatic adjustment (GIA), the response of the Earth to past and
present-day fluctuations of glaciers, ice caps, and ice sheets, generates large
and measurable changes to sea level, crustal motion, especially the land
uplift, and the Earth's gravitational field. Studies on GIA provide also
valuable information on past history of ice masses and on Earth rheology.
Furthermore, GIA contributes substantially to related mass-transport phenomena,
such as present-day hydrological and oceanographic changes. In these cases, the
GIA signal must be modelled and removed in order to isolate the other
processes. Another area of interest is the understanding of GIA-induced
earthquakes in conjunction with the determination of glacially induced faults.

Scientific investigations of GIA started in the early 18th century in
Fennoscandia, and since then various data have been collected, e.g. relative
sea-level (RSL), tide gauges records, leveling, GPS, absolute and relative
gravity measurements, and nowadays also data from satellite missions such as
GRACE. GIA modeling has undergone a huge improvement since its beginning.
Nowadays with the computational power, 3D spherical models based on different
techniques are mainly in use. Appropriate regional models also exist, which may
allow the inclusion of crustal structures such as sedimentary basins and faults
for selected special investigations such as post-glacially induced earthquakes.

In this session, we invite papers, which focus on GIA phenomena around the
world and/or the usage of observations for determination of Earth's rheological
parameters. We welcome contributions directly addressing observations,
modelling of GIA and the inferences regarding glacial history and Earth
rheology. In particular, applications of GRACE-gravity data and the
uncertainties introduced by an imprecisely-known GIA response are of relevance
to this session. This session is also a venue to present recent results of the
Dynamics of Quaternary Climate (DynaQlim) project and of COST Action ES0701
Improved Constraints on Models of GIA.

We plan a special issue together with DynaQlim. Please consider this
opportunity when submitting an abstract to this session. More information and
instructions will be sent to those who have submitted an abstract in this
session.

Our invited speaker will be Erik Ivins (JPL Pasadena, USA).