[Geoqus] Abaqus Models - Stress Analysis Tool

Oliver Heidbach heidbach at gfz-potsdam.de
Thu Mar 17 15:57:18 CET 2016

Dear colleges,

In order to significantly speed up the analysis of 4D geomechanical
model results as well as to increase the quality and flexibility of the
output and figure/movie generation we programmed the Add-on GeoStress
for the commercial visualisation software Tecplot 360 EX (release 2015
R2, http://www.tecplot.com/my/free-trial-software/). Tecplot 360 EX is
dedicated for the analysis and visualization of unstructured 4D data
that come from commercial finite element software packages, fluid
dynamic codes and other numerical solvers. The data loader of Tecplot
360 EX can read the binary files from the leading commercial finite
element codes (e.g. Abaqus or Ansys) and also provides a reader for
ASCII data.

Tecplot 360 EX allows a professional programming of add-ons in C and
Fortran 90 and access to all model variables, details of the mesh and
the incorporated interpolation schemes. The output can be ASCII, images
in user-defined resolution postscript, vector files and movies  in
different output formats. The add-on is explicitly made for the analysis
of the 3D stress tensor and 3D displacement vector over time, but
Tecplot 360 EX can also easily handle the results of
thermo-hydro-mechanical (THM) models to visualize also the temperature
and pore pressure field. The Add-on has almost no limit (we tested it
already with 25 Million linear tetra elements without any problems)

Below you will find the link where to download the besides the attached
manual, examples and the add-on library (windows 64 bit compilation and
one for Linux 64 bit). You can download from the Tecplot website a one
month trial version for free and test it (Tecplot 360 EX 2015 R2, note
that the add-on is not yet compiled for the 2016 version of Tecplot). If
you intend to actually buy a Tecplot version we would appreciate if you
can drop us a note. We are in close contact to the European distributor
(Genias Graphics in Germany) and we need their further support for
additional developments.

ftp-site: ftp://ftp.gfz-potsdam.de/pub/incoming/heidbach/Tecplot/

Please feel free to forward this information to colleges who are also
interested in that tool. If you have questions, please to not hesitate
to contact us.

Best regards
Oliver Heidbach and Dietrich Stromeyer

Dr. Oliver Heidbach

Head of the World Stress Map Project
Helmholtz Centre Potsdam
GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences
Section 2.6 Seismic Hazard and Stress Field
Telegrafenberg
14473 Potsdam
Germany

phone:  +49(0)331 288-2814