[Geoqus] Convection in the mantle wedge

Chris Salomon chris.salomon at uni-jena.de
Thu Jan 18 11:32:43 CET 2018

Dear Geoqus Group,

I'm currently trying to simulate a steady-state temperature
distribution for the upper 400km of a generic subduction zone using
Abaqus but I'm not able to include a kind of mantle wedge convection
into the model.

I know that e.g. Antje Kellner already did this in her PhD 2007 but to
me it isn't clear what she really did.

I already tried using a mass flow rate and surface film conditions but
it failed. I also thought about material rotations inside the mesh but
didn't find a way to realise it.

My problem is that I want to use an already developed subduction zone
geometry for that it's not possible to do a transient analysis over
several mega years.

Maybe some of you know how to achieve the acquired temperature model.

I also would like to contact Mrs. Kellner but didn't find a way to do
so. I already contacted Mrs. Nina Kukowski, her foremost supervisor,
but she doesn't respond.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Kind regards
Chris Salomon