[HGI-News] HGI-Seminar am Montag, 7.06.2004

hgi-news at lists.ruhr-uni-bochum.de hgi-news at lists.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Do Jun 3 13:27:03 CEST 2004

			   Lars Pontow
			  COSY Group - RUB

             "Elliptic Curve Cryptography as a Case Study for
			Hardware/Software Codesign"

             Montag, 7.06.2004, 13:15 hrs, IC 4/39

Abstract

Embedded systems, like Personal Digital Assistants (PDA) and mobile phones,
are ubiquitous nowadays. With newer applications, like e-commerce, securing
the  vulnerable communication in these systems has become extremely
important. For accomplishing this kind of security, asymmetric cryptography
is required. But a  major challenge when implementing asymmetric
cryptographic algorithms on embedded systems is the limited CPU power and
memory size. Hence dedicated hardware  support to accelerate these
algorithms is highly desirable. FPGAs are an attractive platform to
implement such dedicated hardware in an inexpensive and  uncomplicated way.

In this thesis, we analyze performance gain versus the hardware cost for
elliptic and hyperelliptic curve cryptosystems, when a certain amount of
special  hardware is added to the system. For our implementation, we use a
typical embedded processor, the ARM 7TDMI. Directly connected to the ARM
processor is a  XILNX VirtexE XCV2000E FPGA on which the special dedicated
hardware is implemented. We implement ECC over $\mathbb{F}_{2^{167}}$ and
HECC of genus 2 over  $\mathbb{F}_{2^{81}}$. Thus, HECC provides about the
same level of security as the ECC.

Our fastest ECC scalar multiplication is 1.9 ms at 25 MHz, which is 390.4
times faster than our implementation without dedicated hardware. We use 3220
slices  on the FPGA for the dedicated hardware. The fastest HECC scalar
multiplication takes 6.2 ms at 25 MHz using 1794 slices for the dedicated
hardware, which is  248.4 times faster than the non-accelerated version.

EMAIL-VERTEILER: Wenn Sie Vortragsankündigungen auch in Zukunft per
Email erhalten wollen, können Sie hier
http://www.hgi.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/newsletter/
unseren Newsletter abonnieren.

ANFAHRT: Eine Wegbeschreibung zum IC Gebäude der RUB ist hier zu finden:
http://www.crypto.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/Kontakt/Kontakt.html

VORTRÄGE IM SS 2004:
(Abstracts sind hier:
 www.crypto.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/Seminare/Krypt/Kryptosose04.htm)

 19.04.2004, Marc Stevens, ITSC - RUB, 13.00 c.t. IC 4/39,,
 "Arithmetic on Hyperelliptic curves of genus 1 and 2"

 26.04.2004, Jonathan Hammell, COSY - RUB, 13.00 c.t. IC 4/39,
 "Recognition in a Low-Power Environment"

 03.05.2004, Kai Schramm, COSY - RUB, 13.00 c.t. IC 4/39,
 "Internal Collisions in AES"

 17.05 Christian Tobias, JLU Gießen, 13.15 hrs. IC 4/39,
 "Design und Analyse kryptografischer Bausteine auf nicht-abelschen
Gruppen"

 24.05 Jamshid Shokrollahi, Uni Paderborn, 13.15 hrs. IC 4/39,
 "Unifying structures for polynomial and normal bases"

 31.05 no seminar (Holiday: Pfingsmontag)

 7.06 Lars Pontow, COSY Group -RUB, 13:15 hrs. IC 4/39,
 "Elliptic Curve Cryptography as a Case Study for Hardware/Software
Codesign"

 14.06 Kerstin Lemke, COSY Group -RUB, 13.15 hrs. IC 4/39,
 "DPA on n-bit sized Boolean and Arithmetic Operations and its   application
to IDEA, RC6 and the HMAC-Construction"

 21.06 Howon Kim, COSY Group -RUB, 13.15 hrs. IC 4/39,
 "TBA"

 28.06 TBA

 5.07 Mark Manulis, NDS Group -RUB, 13:15 hrs. IC 4/39,
 "Pseudonym Generation Scheme for Ad-Hoc Group Communication based on  IDH"

 12.07 TBA

 19.07 TBA

 26.07 TBA

M.Tech. Sandeep Kumar
Chair for Communication Security
Dept. of Electr. Eng. & Information Sciences
Ruhr-University Bochum
44780 Bochum, Germany