[HGI-News] HGI-Seminar 14.11.2005

Newsletter des Horst Görtz Instituts hgi-news at lists.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mi Nov 2 15:12:50 CET 2005

                            Sebastian Gajek
                         Ruhr-Universität Bchum

                 Montag, 14.11.2005, 13:15 Uhr, IC 4/39

           Towards a half year of A-I3: A preliminary report
                                   or
                    Identity fraud on the Internet

Identity theft on the Internet was one of the most challenging problems
of Internet security in the last months.  Attacks coined by the press
and
scientific community, such as phishing, web spoofing or visual spoofing,
demonstrated how easily attackers lure security-unaware users to bogus
web sites and suggest them to disclose their credentials (e.g., credit
card numbers, passwords, personal transaction numbers).  In fact,
spoofing attacks provide evidence that we assume a false security
awareness of users. For instance, users do not understand the notion of
SSL.  Thus, the strength of SSL, which is the de-facto standard for
securing web applications, is doubtful in practice.

Recently, Prof. Dr. Schwenk (Chair for Network and Data Security, HGI)
and Prof. Dr. Borges (Chair for Law of Economics, RUB) founded the
working group identity protection on Internet (Arbeitsgruppe
Identitätsschutz im Internet A-I3), which is a German research group
facing the problems of identity fraud in all variations. Herein, we are
mostly interested in technical and judicial aspects. Nevertheless, we
stand open to other research groups (e.g., economists).

In this talk, I will introduce A-I3.  I will report on the results of
the
past six month and pinpoint future challenges.   I will give a
comprehensive study of identity theft in Germany and name several real
case studies.  Also, I will sketch the problem of money laundering.

Next talks:

07.11.2005  Gregor Leander: Rabbit in the Hat Proofs.
14.11.2005  Sebastian Gajek: Towards a half year of A-I3.
21.11.2005  Michael Tuexen. Title TBA.
28.11.2005  Seminar ausfaellt! The seminar does not take place.

Prof. Dr. Roberto Avanzi
Faculty for Mathematics
Ruhr-University Bochum
44780 Bochum, Germany