[HGI-News] HGI-Seminar, Montag 10.4.06: On the Evolution of Adversary Models in Security Protocols

Newsletter des Horst Görtz Instituts hgi-news at lists.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Do Apr 6 10:46:39 CEST 2006

                       Prof. Dr. Virgil D. Gligor
 Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, University of Maryland

              Montag 10. April 2006, 13:15 Uhr IC 4 / 39-41
                         (Vortrag auf Englisch)

        On the Evolution of Adversary Models in Security Protocols
                  from the Beginning to Sensor Networks

Invariably, new technologies introduce new vulnerabilities which, in
principle, enable new attacks by increasingly potent adversaries. Yet
new systems are more adept at handling well-known attacks by old
adversaries than anticipating new ones. Our adversary models seem to be
perpetually out of date: often they do not capture adversary attacks
enabled by new vulnerabilities and sometimes address attacks rendered
impractical by new technologies.

In this talk, I provide a brief overview of adversary models beginning
with those required by program and data sharing technologies, continuing
with those required by computer communication and networking technologies,
and ending with those required by mobile ad-hoc and sensor network
technologies. I argue that mobile ad-hoc and sensor networks require new
adversary models (e.g., different from those of Dolev-Yao and Byzantine
adversaries). I illustrate this with adversaries that attack perfectly
sensible and otherwise correct protocols of mobile ad-hoc and sensor
networks. These attacks cannot be countered with traditional security
protocols as they require emergent security properties.

Biographical Note
Virgil D. Gligor received his B.Sc., M.Sc., and Ph.D. degrees from
the University of California at Berkeley. He has been at the University
of Maryland since 1976, and is currently a Professor of Electrical and
Computer Engineering. He is an Editorial Board member of the ACM
Transactions on Information System Security, IEEE Transactions on
Dependable and Secure Computing, and IEEE Transactions on Computers.
Over the past three decades, his research interests ranged from access
control mechanisms, penetration analysis, and denial-of-service protection
to cryptographic protocols and applied cryptography. Recently, he was
awarded the 2006 National Information Security Award by NIST and NSA in
the US for his contributions to information security research.