[HGI-News] HGI-Seminar 16.01.2006

Newsletter des Horst Görtz Instituts hgi-news at lists.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mi Jan 11 14:28:08 CET 2006

                                Axel Poschmann
                           Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum

                    Montag, 16.01.2006, 13:15 Uhr, IC 4/39

                       DLX - A Compact New DESX Variant

Abstract

During this talk, a new lightweight cipher suitable for use in RFIDs
based on DESX is presented. We investigate the design criteria of DES
presented by Coppersmith in 1994 and derive stronger design criteria.
We show that S-boxes, which satisfy our new design criteria are more
resistant against both differential and linear cryptanalysis. Our new
cipher DLX is similar to DES or DESX, respectively, except for the
f-function. DES uses eight different S-boxes, whereas our cipher only
repeatedly uses one improved S-box (eight times).

The implementation results show that our new cipher DLX requires less
chip size, less energy, and is more secure against both differential and
linear cryptanalysis. We also show that DLX requires 40 % less chip
size, 85 % less clock cycles, and consumes only about 10 % of the energy
than the best AES implementation with regard to RFIDs needs.

Prof. Dr. Roberto Avanzi
Faculty for Mathematics
Ruhr-University Bochum
44780 Bochum, Germany