[HGI-News] HGI-Seminar, Montag 18.06.2007: Comparison of Low-Power Public Key Cryptography on MICAz 8-Bit Micro Controller

Newsletter des Horst Görtz Instituts hgi-news at lists.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Do Jun 14 16:51:56 CEST 2007

                Leif Uhsadel, Ruhr Universität Bochum

             Montag 18. Juni 2007, 13:15 Uhr IC 4 / 39-41

           Comparison of Low-Power Public Key Cryptography
                   on MICAz 8-Bit Micro Controller

The terms ubiquitous and pervasive computing designate the penetration
of our everyday life with intelligent devices. These tiny, constrained,
and battery powered nodes are used to build WSNs that may process
sensitive data. Therefore security as well as low energy consumption are
crucial in this field. Since runtime scales with energy consumption
efficient implementation is necessary at all costs. We will show by
comparing of different implementations of asymmetric algorithms that
ECC is a good choice in this case, as it allows shorter key length with
adequate security level and furthermore can be efficiently implemented.
We will provide mathematical background as well as algorithms for an
efficient implementation. Subsequently we will present the fastest known
implementation of a 160-bit multiplication, which is the core operation
of the prime field of the standardized elliptic curve secp160r1. Even
though the implementation is highly optimized for speed, the code-size
of 5.4 KB and RAM requirements of 112 B are acceptable. The high
efficient prime field is implemented in assembly and available on
request. It is thought to be the base for high efficient curve
implementations. A curve with basic optimizations is written in C and
can also be reused. The 160-bit multiplication has a runtime of 0.39ms
and requires with our C implementation of the curve 1.151s for a point
multiplication. This could be optimized to approximately 0.76s for one
point multiplication in combination with a highly efficient elliptic
curve. Furthermore this would allow the execution of an ECDSA signature
in less than one second without pre-calculation.

Die Webseite des HGI-Seminars mit allen Informationen zu vergangenen und
zukünftigen Vorträgen: http://www.hgi.rub.de/deutsch/lehrangebot/seminar.html

--
Für das HGI, Michael Psarros <michael.psarros at nds.rub.de>