[HGI-News-de] HGI Seminar Do. 11. Dez: "Efficient Techniques for Securing Off-Chip Memory" by V. Kolesnikov (Bell Labs, USA)

Newsletter des Horst Görtz Instituts hgi-news-deutschland at lists.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mi Dez 10 14:52:02 CET 2008

Hallo,

im Rahmen des HGI-Seminars "Aktuelle Themen der IT-Sicherheit" wird
am nächsten Donnerstag (11. Dezember) der folgende Vortrag angeboten:

Vladimir Kolesnikov (Bell Labs, USA):
"Efficient Techniques for Securing Off-Chip Memory"

Termin:
Donnerstag, der 11. Dezember um  11.00 Uhr
Raum: IC 4/161

Alle Interessierte sind herzlich eingeladen!

Abstract:

We consider a system architecture where a hardware-secured processor uses memory controlled by an adversary. We present a new, more efficient approach to encrypting and authenticating memory and discuss the associated trade-offs, while paying special attention to minimizing hardware costs and the reduction of DRAM latency.

Instrumental in our approach is ShMAC (Shallow MAC), a new fixed input length message authentication code that performs most of the computation prior to the availability of the message. Specifically, ShMAC's message-dependent computation is much faster and smaller in hardware than the evaluation of a PRP, and can be implemented by a small shallow circuit, while its precomputation consists of one PRP evaluation.  We describe our architecture in detail, and show the clear advantages of MAC precomputation in our system.

Striking a good cost/security balance in this resource-constrained setting is challenging; we additionally demonstrate this by uncovering critical vulnerabilities in a previously proposed low-latency DRAM system.

Informationen über die nächsten geplannten Vorträge im Rahmen des
HGI-Seminars sind auch im Web zu finden:
http://www.hgi.rub.de/deutsch/lehrangebot/seminar/ss2008.html

Gruß,
Biljana Cubaleska