[HGI-News-de] HGI Seminar Do. 30.10.: "Hash-Functions and RFID-Tags: Mind the Gap" von A. Poschmann

Newsletter des Horst Görtz Instituts hgi-news-deutschland at lists.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Di Okt 28 09:42:24 CET 2008

Hallo,

im Rahmen des HGI-Seminars "Aktuelle Themen der IT-Sicherheit" wird
am kommenden Donnerstag der folgende Vortrag angeboten:

Axel Poschmann:
*Hash-Functions and RFID-Tags: Mind the Gap*

Termin:
Donnerstag, der 30. Oktober um  11.00 Uhr (*s.t.*)
Raum: IC 4/161

Interessierte sind herzlich eingeladen!

Abstract:

The security challenges posed by RFID-tag deployments are well- known.
In response there is a rich literature on new cryptographic protocols
and an on-tag hash function is often assumed by protocol designers. Yet
cheap tags pose severe implementation challenges and it is far from
clear that a suitable hash function even exists. In this paper we
consider the options available, including constructions based around
compact block ciphers. While we describe the most compact hash functions
available today, our work serves to highlight the difficulties in
designing lightweight hash functions and (echoing [1]) we urge caution
when routinely appealing to a hash function in an RFID-tag protocol.

[1] Feldhofer,M., Rechberger, C.: A Case Against Currently Used Hash
Functions in RFID Protocols.
In: Meersman, R., Tari, Z.,Herrero, P. (eds.) OTM2006 Workshops. LNCS,
vol. 4277,pp. 372–381. Springer, Heidelberg (2006)

Informationen über die nächsten geplannten Vorträge im Rahmen des
HGI-Seminars sind auch im Web zu finden:
http://www.hgi.rub.de/hgi/hgi-seminar/aktuelles

Gruß,
Mathias Herrmann