-HGI News- CASA Distinguished Lecture with Christian Majenz (Technical University of Denmark), December 13, 2022 (also online available)

Newsletter des Horst-Görtz-Instituts für IT-Sicherheit hgi-news-deutschland at lists.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mi Dez 7 14:17:03 CET 2022

CASA Distinguished Lecture with Christian Majenz (Technical University of
Denmark)

The Cluster of Excellence „CASA – Cyber Security in the Age of Large-Scale
Adversaries“ invites you to the lecture. A registration is not necessary.

December 13, 2022, 12.00 noon (UTC+1)

CASA Distinguished Lecture with Christian Majenz (Technical University of
Denmark)

Topic: “How do quantum computers break crypto and what are we doing about
it?”

Location: Building TZR ("MB"), Level 1, Room SM-MW-106, Universitätsstraße
142, 44799 Bochum
Online via ->
<https://ruhr-uni-bochum.zoom.us/j/62855788073?pwd=dDhRc1RrM3gvMWJDemVWdWVXe
VNNQT09#success> Zoom

Abstract: That a quantum computer can be used to break some cryptographic
schemes via Shor’s algorithm is a well-known fact. But which cryptographic
schemes are that? Where are they used? How does a quantum computer actually
solve a computational task like integer factorization so much faster than a
regular computer? In this lecture, I will try to answer these questions. I
will then go on to to discuss a number of approaches for constructing
post-quantum cryptography. Finally, I will show how quantum computing theory
is necessary not only for cryptanalysis, but also for security proofs of
modern cryptographic schemes.

Bio: Christian Majenz obtained his master's degree in physics from the
University of Freiburg, supervised by David Gross. He obtained his PhD from
the University of Copenhagen under the supervision of Matthias Christandl,
spending time at Caltech along the way. After a postdoc at the QuSoft Center
and CWI in Amsterdam he moved back to Copenhagen where he is currently an
Assistant Professor at the Technical University of Denmark. His main
research interests are provable security for post-quantum cryptography,
other quantum aspects of cryptography and representation-theoretic
techniques in quantum theory.

Find more information on our CASA Distinguished Lectures here:
<https://casa.rub.de/en/news/distinguished-lectures>
https://casa.rub.de/en/news/distinguished-lectures. On our Youtube channel
you’ll find recordings of the past events.

With kind regards

Christina Scholten

RUHR-UNIVERSITÄT BOCHUM

Horst Görtz Institut for IT Security (HGI) / Cluster of Excellence CASA

Marketing and Public Relations

MC EG 78, Postfach MC 3

Universitätsstr. 150

44780 Bochum, Germany

Tel: +49-(0)234-32-29274

E-Mail:  <mailto:christina.scholten at rub.de> christina.scholten at rub.de

 <http://www.hgi.rub.de/> www.hgi.rub.de

 <http://www.casa.rub.de/> www.casa.rub.de

If you no longer wish to receive information from the Horst Görtz Institute
for IT Security, you can unsubscribe via
<https://lists.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/mailman/listinfo/hgi-news-international>
this link.