-HGI News- CASA Distinguished Lecture with Kaveh Razavi (ETH Zürich) on January 13, 2023

English Newsletter of the Horst Goertz Institute for IT Security hgi-news-international at lists.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Jan 10 10:57:05 CET 2023

Bochum, January 10, 2023

Date for the next CASA Distinguished Lecture

The Cluster of Excellence „CASA – Cyber Security in the Age of Large-Scale
Adversaries“ invites you to the lecture. A registration is not necessary.

January 13, 2023, 11.00 a.m. (UTC+1)

CASA Distinguished Lecture with Kaveh Razavi (ETH Zürich)

Topic: "Practical Rowhammer Attacks and Defenses"

Location: Building TZR ("MB"), Level 1, Room SM-MW-106, Universitätsstraße
142, 44799 Bochum

    Or Online via ->
<https://ruhr-uni-bochum.zoom.us/j/62855788073?pwd=dDhRc1RrM3gvMWJDemVWdWVXe
VNNQT09#success> Zoom

Abstract: A decade later, we are still struggling with software-triggered
bit flips in DRAM, famously known as Rowhammer. Modern DRAM devices deploy
internal mitigations, but as we will show, they are all unfortunately
vulnerable to certain access patterns that effectively bypass these
mitigations. Since we cannot patch DRAM, these bit flips are going to stay
with us for many years to come, so it's important to ensure that the next
generation of mitigations provide principled security guarantees. We will
discuss our recent efforts in the construction of such mitigations inside
DRAM.

Bio: Kaveh Razavi is an assistant professor at ETH Zurich where he leads the
Computer Security Group. His research interests are in the area of systems
and security. More recently, he has been involved in the discovery and
exploitation of many high-profile hardware vulnerabilities in commodity
hardware components such as DRAM and CPU. These efforts have won him and his
collaborators many awards, including best paper and best practical paper at
IEEE S&P, three Pwnies in the most innovative research category at BlackHat,
a Dutch Veni and a SERI-funded ERC Starting Grant.

Find more information on our CASA Distinguished Lectures here:
<https://casa.rub.de/en/news/distinguished-lectures>
https://casa.rub.de/en/news/distinguished-lectures. On our Youtube channel
you’ll find recordings of the past events.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/ With kind regards

Christina Scholten

RUHR-UNIVERSITÄT BOCHUM

Horst Görtz Institut for IT Security (HGI) / Cluster of Excellence CASA

Marketing and Public Relations

MC EG 78, Postfach MC 3

Universitätsstr. 150

44780 Bochum, Germany

Tel: +49-(0)234-32-29274

E-Mail:  <mailto:christina.scholten at rub.de> christina.scholten at rub.de

 <http://www.hgi.rub.de/> www.hgi.rub.de

 <http://www.casa.rub.de/> www.casa.rub.de

If you no longer wish to receive information from the Horst Görtz Institute
for IT Security, you can unsubscribe via
<https://lists.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/mailman/listinfo/hgi-news-international>
this link.