[Biomedical-cybernetics] Communication, Chaos, and Complexity, SCTPLS 2010

Guastello, Stephen stephen.guastello at marquette.edu
Mon Apr 26 21:30:22 CEST 2010

The CALL FOR PAPERS is open until April 30:
www.societyforchaostheory.org/conf/2010/cfp.html<http://www.societyforchaostheory.org/conf/2010/cfp.html>
MeanwhileŠ

We are honored to announce another featured speaker
Phillip Salem, Texas State University

who will present
"Finding the Sweet Spot in Human Communication"

at the
20th Annual International Conference of the
Society for Chaos Theory in Psychology & Life Sciences
University of Texas, San Marcos, TX, July 22-24, 2010

The dynamic tension in all living systems is
between similarity and difference. There are many
sets of polarized terms representing this
tension, but chaos and complexity scholars
recognized this tension as amounts of
information. Information represents the amount of
relative variety - a mix of similarity and
difference, and when the amounts were high, but
not too high, the system moved to transformation
- to the edge of chaos, to the complexity regime,
to strange attractors, or to chaos, depending on
the model. The sweet spot is that range of
relative variety, just the proper mix of
similarity and difference, leading to
transformation.
Human communication is an emergent social
process. It occurs when individuals in a social
relationship create messages cueing each other as
part of an ongoing episode. Human communication
is an effort to make sense of an episode created
by the process itself. The process constitutes
our social and psychological life together.
This paper explores the dynamic tension in
communication constituting three phenomena: (a)
self, (b) trust in immediate and extended
relationships such as social networks, and (c)
organizations. In each case I will describe
current literature highlighting tensions between
similarity and difference, and I will explore the
potential to move from one basin of attraction to
another. The primary constraints on modeling
communication transformations are discovering the
appropriate parameters and bracketing sequences
to define initial conditions, constraints common
to modeling all nonlinear processes.

Dr. Salem is a Professor of Organizational
Communication, at Texas State since 1974 (B.S.
Ed., Northern State University, M.A. University
of Denver, Ph.D., University of Denver.) Dr.
Salem has just completed The Complexity of Human
Communication (2009), a book describing the
process and evolving nature of communication. He
recently edited Organizational Communication and
Change, a collection of papers from scholars
attending conferences he directed in 1976 and in
1996. Dr. Salem has received awards for his work
about communication and technology and is known
for his work in educational administration,
including Organizational Communication in Higher
Education, published by AAHE. He directed a
project funded by the Department of Education to
develop a theory of organizational factors
influencing the incorporation of new units into
an organization. His consultant work focuses on
organizational communication development and
routinely assists clients in assessing and
planning organizational communication.

This message has been sent to people who we
believe are interested in nonlinear dynamics and
related publications and events. If you would
like to be removed from future mailings, reply to
this message with REMOVE in the subject heading.