[Biomedical-cybernetics] Winter School on Complex Systems

programs at necsi.org programs at necsi.org
Fri Oct 4 00:43:37 CEST 2013

January 6 - 17, 2014
NECSI Winter School
Jan. 6-10 CX201: Complex Physical, Biological & Social Systems
Jan. 12 CX102: Computer Programming and Complex Systems
Jan. 13-17 CX202: Complex Systems Modeling and Networks

Location: MIT, Cambridge, MA

TARGET AUDIENCE

These courses are intended for faculty, graduate students, post-
doctoral fellows, professionals and others who would like to gain an
understanding of the fundamentals of complex systems for application
to research in their respective fields, or as a basis for pursuing
complex systems research.

The winter school offers two intensive week-long courses. The courses
consist of lectures, discussions, and supervised group projects.
Though the second week builds on material covered in the previous
week, CX201 is not a prerequisite for CX202. You may register for
either or both weeks. If desired, arrangements for credit at a home
institution may be made in advance.

See course descriptions below or online at:
http://www.necsi.edu/education/school.html

WEEK ONE
CX201: Complex Physical, Biological and Social Systems
Dates: January 6-10, 2014

This course offers an introduction to the essential concepts of
complex systems and related mathematical methods and simulation
strategies with application to physical, biological and social
systems. The course will particularly focus on the use of multiscale
representations as a unifying approach to complex systems concepts,
methods and applications.

Concepts to be discussed include: emergence, complexity, networks,
self-organization, pattern formation, evolution, adaptation, fractals,
chaos, cooperation, competition, attractors, interdependence, scaling,
dynamic response, information, and function.

Methods to be discussed include: statistical methods, cellular
automata, agent-based modeling, pattern recognition, system
representation and informatics.

http://necsi.edu/education/school.html?action=wk1

LAB
CX102: Computer Programming and Complex Systems
Date: January 12, 2014

This course introduces computer programming in the Python language for
those with little or no computer programming experience. It is
designed as a precursor to CX202.

The course will present programming concepts and hands-on exercises.
Topics to be covered include: data structures, algorithms, variables
and assignments, numerical and logical operations, lists and
dictionaries, user-defined functions, flow control, loops, and
visualization.

http://necsi.edu/education/school.html?action=lab

WEEK TWO
CX202: Complex Systems Modeling and Networks
Dates: January 13-17, 2014

This course provides (a) an introduction to building models of complex
systems (physical, biological, social and engineered), and (b) the
study of networks, including topologies and dynamics of real world
networks.

The course will cover the basic construction and analysis of models
including identifying what is to be modeled, constructing a
mathematical representation, analysis tools and implementing and
simulating the model in a computer program. Particular attention will
be paid to choosing the right level of detail for the model, testing
its robustness, and discussing which questions a given model can or
cannot answer.

The study of networks will introduce the use of network topologies and
the characterization of networks describing complex systems, including
such concepts as small worlds, degree distribution, diameter,
clustering coefficient, modules, and motifs. Different types of
network topologies and network behaviors that model aspects of real
complex systems will be described including: modular, sparse, random,
scale-free, influence, transport, transformation, and structure.

NOTE: Students without a background in programming are strongly
recommended to attend CX102: Computer Programming and Complex Systems
in conjunction with CX202.

http://necsi.edu/education/school.html?action=wk2

Comments from previous students:

Excellent course...useful thematic overview... applications in diverse
contexts were exciting. Particularly appreciated the group project -
excellent experiential pedagogy.

The course was an eye-opening framework to analyze my work through a
different lens.

Presentations were extremely useful for me in understanding how to
begin modeling complex systems and assessing them. Helped me
understand a lot of things I have been doing so far without clearly
understanding the principles.

This class very much stretched my mind to apply the ideas of
complexity to the world... I believe I learned more on a grander
scale... will help enrich my vocabulary and the way of thinking in the
world with respect to complexity.

Excellent class. I hope to take a more active role in the community.

This course contained more insight than any other 'complexity' themed
course that I have taken.

For more information and registration, visit:
http://necsi.edu/education/school.html

New England Complex Systems Institute
238 Main Street Suite 319
Cambridge, MA 02142