[Biomedical-cybernetics] The #8 reason for submitting an abstract for the 25th Annual International SCTPLS Conference

Guastello, Stephen stephen.guastello at marquette.edu
Thu Apr 9 05:45:44 CEST 2015

THE #8 REASON FOR SUBMITTING AN ABSTRACT FOR THE 25TH ANNUAL
INTERNATIONAL SCTPLS CONFERENCE IS…

FREE AIR CONDITIONING AND A REALLY HOT KEYNOTE ADDRESS BY SCOTT KELSO!

REGISTRATION for the conference and workshops is now open
https://www.societyforchaostheory.org/conf/2015

The SCTPLS Executive Committee is excited that
Scott Kelso, PhD
will be one of our keynote speakers at the

25th Annual International Conference
29-31 July, 2015
University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA

Celebrate with us 25 consecutive years of nonlinear dynamics
conferences!

Night Thoughts of a Dynamicist:
Key Concepts and Ideas behind Coordination Dynamics

Richard Feynman once said something like “We would not know where we
are stupid until we stick our necks out.” In this talk I’ll discuss
some of the key concepts and ideas behind coordination dynamics, the
science of coordination, where they came from and why they matter.
This will include some historical aspects including early conferences
and interactions with certain prominent scientists. Then I’ll stick my
neck out and make a linkage between consciousness and coordination.
Rather than being a novel state of highly integrated information or
matter, conscious agency will be seen to emerge as a disorder-order
transition of a coordination dynamics defined in an appropriate space
of relevant variables.

Scott Kelso holds the Glenwood and Martha Creech Eminent Scholar Chair
in Science at Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton where he is
also Professor of Psychology and Neuroscience, Biological Sciences and
Biomedical Sciences. He is the (Visiting) Professor of Computational
Neuroscience at University of Ulster's Intelligent Systems Research
Centre in Derry, N. Ireland where he guides a young team of
researchers. From 1978 to 1985 Kelso was Senior Research Scientist at
Yale University’s Haskins Laboratories in New Haven, Connecticut. In
1985 he founded the first Center for Complex Systems and Brain
Sciences in the US at Florida Atlantic and also led a NIH-funded
National Training Program in this new interdisciplinary field. For
most of his scientific career Kelso has been trying to understand how
human beings (and human brains)—individually and together—coordinate
behavior on multiple levels, all the way from cellular to cognitive
and social behavior. He is considered an originator of Coordination
Dynamics, a theoretical and empirical framework geared to
understanding the functional coordination of living things. Kelso is
the recipient of a number of awards including the MERIT, Senior
Scientist and Director's Innovation Awards from NIH, the Distinguished
Alumni Research Achievement Award from the University of Wisconsin,
Docteur Honoris Causa from the Republic of France and the University
of Toulouse (est. 1228). In 2007 he was honored to be chosen as Pierre
de Fermat Laureate and in 2011 he received the Bernstein Prize. Kelso
is a Fellow of AAAS, APA, APS and SEP. Trained in a specifically
interdisciplinary setting, his PhD students and Postdocs have gone on
to careers in some of the top academic and research institutions in
the world.

WE WANT TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR WORK, TOO!

CALL FOR ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS, SYMPOSIA, AND POSTERS

Submissions deadline is April 30, 2015.

Submit your abstract(s) electronically at

http://www.societyforchaostheory.org/conf/2015/cfp