[Biomedical-cybernetics] JOB: PhD candidate in Network Biology/Bioinformatics at Maastricht UMC+

Arts Ilja (EPID) ilja.arts at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Tue Apr 21 17:35:55 CEST 2015

PhD candidate in Network Biology/Bioinformatics for a
multidisciplinary project at Maastricht UMC+, CARIM School for
Cardiovascular Diseases and NUTRIM School of Nutrition and
Translational Research in Metabolism (AT2015.64)

The obesity epidemic is a rapidly growing health threat, but there is
substantial heterogeneity in cardiometabolic risk among the obese.
Current clinical practice uses metabolic syndrome diagnosis to
establish cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk. This is an insensitive
tool, and data suggest that a substantial proportion of individuals
without metabolic syndrome are yet at high risk for CVD, and vice
versa. In this project we will generate metabolomics multi-marker
profiles that improve clinical decision-making by identifying obese
individuals at high risk of CVD, and identify novel molecular
descriptors for prevention and early diagnosis, and targets for
treatment of obese individuals at high risk of CVD, independent of
their metabolic syndrome status. We will use data from several large
human studies, including The Maastricht Study (http://www.demaastrichtstudie.nl/research
) and Diogenes (http://www.diogenes-eu.org).

Details and application procedure: https://www.academictransfer.com/employer/UM/vacancy/27320/lang/en/