[Biomedical-cybernetics] Sharing the Nonlinear Vision

Guastello, Stephen stephen.guastello at MARQUETTE.EDU
Tue Mar 29 18:49:13 CEST 2016

Dear Nonlinear Colleagues,
I heartily encourage everyone to benefit from joining us at the
Society’s milestone 25th anniversary conference at the beautiful
University of Utah campus at Salt Lake City!  We believe its three-
pronged vision means there is more than the usual level of something
for everyone in our diverse membership.

First and foremost, as always, the conference affords the timely
showcase and discussion of current work across disciplines and areas
of practice in our hallmark collegial atmosphere, in papers, posters,
symposia, and perhaps short workshops.

For this 25th anniversary, the second prong of our conference vision
honors the fact that humans mark meaningful life events with
anniversaries so the events’ catalytic roles are remembered,
appreciated, and expanded. At this 25th conference of the longest-
running nonlinear society in history, we’ll relive the spirit of our
nonlinear pioneers, as we co-create and navigate the nonlinear science
of the 21st Century.  As stewards of this vital and still-young
interdisciplinary field, we cast our gaze on how we build on our
extensive platform to spread the reach of nonlinear science to respond
to the growing edges of human knowledge about how our world works!

And in that vein, our vision is for this conference to promote the
social relevance – and the necessity! – of nonlinear dynamics for
constructively impacting and unraveling the complexities of our
contemporary world.  Whether it’s local, national, or international
news, whether the topic is business, finance, politics, terrorism, or
climate change, the daily news is rife with evidence of why humanity
has to understand the nonlinear dynamics of our milieu if we are ever
to find system leverage points that change our dangerous trajectories.

These three prongs are reflected in the presentations we’ll hear from
this year’s keynote speakers, Glenda Eoyang and Gus Koehler, each of
whom illuminate nonlinear challenges to assumptions in  thinking,
practice, analysis, and worldviews that are so pervasive, we can be
blind to them and their implications. Together, these keynotes help us
examine our work and thinking as they drill into  why “nonlinear
matters” in some ways not often voiced.

Visit http://www.societyforchaostheory.org/conf/2016/ for the call for
abstracts (deadline April 30), conference registrations, and the great
choices of lodging for this highly meaningful and enjoyable July
29-31, 2016 event!

I look forward to seeing you in Utah!

Sincerely,

Sara Ross, Ph.D.
President and 2016 Conference Chair
Society for Chaos Theory in Psychology & Life Sciences