[Biomedical-cybernetics] Chaos in Coimbra! Announcing our third guest speaker for INSC 2019

Guastello, Stephen stephen.guastello at MARQUETTE.EDU
Sun Oct 14 15:37:30 CEST 2018

Society for Chaos Theory in Psychology & Life Sciences
8th International Nonlinear Science Conference
              Coimbra, Portugal, 28-30 March, 2019

We are pleased to announce the third guest speaker for the 8th Annual INSC, Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Tschacher, from the University Hospital of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy at the University of Bern, Switzerland.

Title:  Synchrony and Embodiment – Empirical Hypotheses derived from Synergetics

Abstract: Current research in psychology increasingly showed that, and how, social and psychotherapeutic interaction is grounded in posture, body motion, gesture, prosody, and physiology – in short, in the bodies of individuals interacting. It was found that patients and therapists spontaneously synchronize their movements and even their physiological responses during psychotherapy. This nonverbal synchrony has been linked to better therapeutic outcomes and generally to prosocial attitudes. Mental and communicative processes are thus embodied in movement patterns and physiological synchrony. I view such processes as examples of self-organization dynamics that can be modeled in the framework of Hermann Haken's synergetics. We developed statistical methods to detect synchrony based on time series with high sampling rates, and to establish effect sizes of this phenomenon using surrogate tests. I will also demonstrate how we can visualize the underlying attractor landscapes on the basis of such time series.

Biographical: Wolfgang Tschacher was born in Stuttgart, Germany, studied psychology at Tübingen University where he received his Ph.D. in 1990. Psychotherapy training in systemic therapy at the Institute of Family Therapy, Munich. Habilitation in psychology and Venia legendi 1996 at University of Bern, Switzerland, professorship in 2002. He currently works at the University Hospital of Psychiatry, where he founded the department of psychotherapy research. His main interests are in quantitative psychotherapy research, time-series methods and experimental psychopathology, with an emphasis on dynamical systems, complexity science, embodied cognition, and phenomena of cognitive self-organization. Organizer of the series of 'Herbstakademie' conferences on systems theory in psychology. For a list of publications and conference information see www.exp.unibe.ch or www.embodiment.ch

 And don't forget:

The Call for Papers (Abstracts) is open. Submit your abstract(s) electronically at http://sctpls.org/insc/2019/cfp.cgi

November 20, 2018  Early birds will start to receive their notification after this date. Acceptance decisions are sent within two weeks.

January 10, 2019  The submission deadline
Submit early so your travel plans can be made early too!

Kind Regards,

The Conference Committee:

Teresa Rebelo, University of Coimbra, Conference Chair,
David Schuldberg, SCTPLS President,
Stephen Guastello, Marquette University,
Dimitrios Stamovlasis, Aristotle University,
Paulo Renato Lourenço, University of Coimbra,
Isabel Dimas, University of Aveiro