[Geoqus] Byerlee / creep law in Abaqus

Kasper Fischer kasper.fischer at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Nov 11 10:04:29 CET 2003

Good morning,

I am working on the visco-plastic deformation of the Aegean-Anatolian
plate due to the indention of the Arabian plate and the interaction with
the African plate along the Hellenic trench. right now I am using
different material properties in the different layers of the model
(*DRUCKER PRAGER in the crust and *VISCOELASTIC in the mantle
lithosphere). But I think that a transition from brittle to ductile
behaviour should be introduced within the crust to have a more realistic
model. What I mean is a rheology which follows a frictional (Byerlee)
law at low pressures and thermal (shear?) creep at greater depth. Does
anybody has done this with ABAQUS? Is it possible to use one of the
provided material properties or is it necessary to write a user
subroutine (UMAT or CREEP) ?

Any hints are welcome

Kasper

--
| Dr. Kasper D. Fischer             <kasper.fischer at ruhr-uni-bochum.de> |
| Ruhr-Universität Bochum                                               |