[Geoqus] Technical ABAQUS Workshop

Oliver Heidbach oliver.heidbach at gpi.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Nov 27 17:52:01 CET 2003

Dear colleagues,

when we started with GEOQUS, one of our ideas was to organize a technical workshop for geoscientific ABAQUS user. But since the number of potential participants is limited, it would not be reasonable to send an announcement without checking first if such a workshop is interesting to you, and if yes, which focus it should have.

Our suggestion is to focus on technical questions and problems. In the next paragraph you find a list of possible technical topics we could
address to:

- usage criteria for the various element types
- meshing of layered 3D structures including faults as contact surfaces
- implementation of new rheology subroutines for visous-plastic flow laws
- initial stress conditions and gravity implementation
- implementation of erosion and sedimentation in ABAQUS
- scaling ideas and solutions
- visualization of ABAQUS results

Theses topics are meant to be suggestions and every comment is very welcome. The general structure of the workshop should allow for presentations in the mornings and lots of time in the afternoon for moderated and open discussions and practical application on the computer.

What we need from you is a statement if such a workshop (e.g. 2-3 days
in Karlsruhe in spring/summer 2004) sounds interesting and, if yes, on
what topic your contribution could be or which unsolved problems could
be discussed.

We are looking forward to your reply,

Best regards
Oliver Heidbach & Kasper Fischer

PS: Since we both will attend the DGG (German Geophysical Society)
meeting in Berlin (8.-12.2004) and the EGU meeting in Nice
(26.-30.42004) there is also the possibility to meet there for informal
discussions.

Dr. Oliver Heidbach

Geophysical Institute - University Karlsruhe
World Stress Map Project

Hertzstrasse 16
D-76187 Karlsruhe

phone:  +49-721-608 4609