[Geoqus] question about Abaqus on linux

Morra, Gabriele morra at tomo.ig.erdw.ethz.ch
Thu Mar 24 09:29:58 CET 2005

Hi Susan,
 I am running Abaqus on Linux Suse 9.0 since abuot one year. Abaqus CAE seems to work very well, better then on the Alphas on which I worked before. I don't have any problem with them, except it is not stable when I try to print.

For the fortran subroutines, there are problems between the Abaqus 6.4-1 and the Intel Fortran compiler (Abaqus requires that one) 8.0. I contacted Abauqus support and they told me that that version of abaqus is tested only with the IFC 7.0. So I had to install it (I found it on the web) and I had to add those lines in the environment file:

compile_fortran = ( "/opt/intel/compiler70/ia32/bin/ifc -c -O0 -DLINUX -I%I" )

compile_cpp = ( "/opt/intel/compiler70/ia32/bin/ifc -c -fPIC -DPIC -w -Wmissing-prototypes -Wuninitialized " +
"-DHKS_LINUX -DLINUX -DHAS_BOOL -DFOR_TRAIL -DHKS_DEBUG " +
"-D_BSD_TYPES -D_BSD_SOURCE -D_GNU_SOURCE " +
"-D_XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED -DEMULATE_EXCEPTIONS=0 " +
"-DGL_GLEXT_PROTOTYPES -DHAVE_OPENGL -DHKS_OPEN_GL " +
"-DSUN_OGL_NO_VERTEX_MACROS -Winline -fpermissive " +
"-instances=explicit -fexceptions -fstrict-prototype " +
"-fvtable-thunks -DTYPENAME= -D_POSIX_SOURCE " +
"-D_XOPEN_SOURCE -DSPECIALIZE -O0 -I%I" )

link_sl = ( "/opt/intel/compiler70/ia32/bin/ifc -Wl,-warn-once -fPIC " +
" -Wl,-export-dynamic -shared %E -Wl,-soname,%U -o %U %F " +
"%A %B -Wl,-Bdynamic -lg2c -lm -lc" )

link_exe = ( "/opt/intel/compiler70/ia32/bin/ifc -Wl,-warn-once -fPIC -Wl,--no-demangle " +
"-Wl,-noinhibit-exec -o %J %F %M %L %B %O " +
"-lm -lpgc -lgcc -lg2c -lg2c" )

where of course the path is only on my machine.

Anyway maybe this problem is solved in the version 6.5 of Abaqus. I am trying it since two days and I didn't check whether it works with a different compiler.

A last advice: I had a lot of troubles running abaqus on Linux because it gets often stucked and gives error 11 or error 8 without any aparent reason. Then one has to try to launch the code several times before to make it to work. It seems a sort of bug and persists in the version 6.5. I also wrote a msg to the list of abaqus on Yahoo but I found somebody else that had the same problem but no solution. So beware that you could have some problem. My feeling is anyway that those problem will arise only on 32bit machines that unfortunately last year were bought in our institute instead of 64bit opteron.
However I don't know how common is this problem. Maybe a different version of Linux works better.

cheers
Gabriele

Hi everyone

I'm about to make the jump from solaris to linux
for running Abaqus/Standard and Abaqus/CAE.
Does anyone have any advice/comments about running
Abaqus on linux? In particular, memory/flops
issues, and compatibility with operating systems?
Which versions of linux seem to work with Abaqus?

The compatibility table on the Abaqus web-site lists
only one fortran and c++ compiler that has been tested
with the linux version (Intel Visual Fortran and c++)
I'm a bit confused by this as I thought "visual" compilers
were primarily for windows, not linux. Has anyone managed
to use "free" fortran/c++ compilers with Abaqus on
linux rather than those listed in the Abaqus table, and
if so, what changes needed to be made to the setup?

thanks in advance
Susan

Dr Susan Ellis
Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences
Gracefield Rd, PO Box 30368
Lower Hutt
New Zealand
S.Ellis at gns.cri.nz