[Geoqus] question about Abaqus on linux

Kasper Fischer kasper.fischer at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Mar 24 11:04:08 CET 2005

Hi Susan,

right now I am running Abaqus on a HP SuperDome computer, but I am also
thinking about switching to linux. I want to run it on a dual-processor
AMD opteron 64bit workstation. I know that Holger Steffen from the
University of Goettingen (Germany) is running Abaqus on an opteron
workstation. I have called him last week and asked him about his
experiences and he did not mention any serious problems. Maybe he can
share his experiences with the list.

We also talk about the compiler issues you addressed in your e-mail. It
would be nice if abaqus would work together with the GNU C and Fortran
compilers. This would save the money for additional licenses. An other
option for me would be the NAG Compilers since there are available at my
university without additional costs. Unfortunately Holger did not use
user subroutines and therefore did not bother with compiler issues yet.

I am looking forward to hearing from you and other list members about
you abaqus mileage on linux computers.

Best regards from Bochum

Kasper Fischer

| Dr. Kasper D. Fischer             <kasper.fischer at ruhr-uni-bochum.de> |
| Ruhr-Universität Bochum                                               |
| Institut für Geologie, Mineralogie und Geophysik                      |
| NA 3 / 174                        Tel: +49 234 3227574                |
| D-44780 Bochum                    Fax: +49 234 3214181                |
| Germany                           www.geophysik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de    |