[Geoqus] Winkler buoyancy forces

Kasper Fischer kasper.fischer at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Jan 28 10:59:52 CET 2006

Dear Jack,

you can use the Abaqus keyword *FOUNDATION to model Winkler foundations,
i. e. forces proportional to the displacement. You can choose the
amplitude of the foundation to be equal to to g*delta rho to model
buoyancy forces. In that case your plate will foat on a liquid mantle.
If you also apply gravity to your model than you also have to apply a
lithostatic pressure to the base of the model to prevent any initial
displacements. This might be not quiet easy if your model is not layered
horizontaly.

I hope that will help you.

Does anybody has an idea how to apply the lithostatic pressure without
calculating the pressure in advance?

Best regards

Kasper

--
| Dr. Kasper D. Fischer          <kasper.fischer at ruhr-uni-bochum.de> |
| Ruhr-Universität Bochum                                            |