[Geoqus] Winkler buoyancy forces

Gabriele Morra gabriele.morra at erdw.ethz.ch
Sat Jan 28 09:06:31 CET 2006

Hi Jack,
  we implemented it in a couple of papers on subduction. Using a
dload subroutine one can apply an Archimede restoring force at the
bottom of the lithospheric plate. If your model gets unstable, you
also apply it as a body force. The only thing you need to calculate a
priory is the isostatic equilibrium depth. Given that the winkler
foundation is linear with depth, it straightforward to implement it
using the "coords" variable of the subroutine. In order to model
subduction we then switched off at a certain depth (6-15km), and it
worked properly.

Gabriele

Gabriele Morra
Geophysics Institute