[Geoqus] Modelling flat or spherical?

Andre Gebauer Andre.Gebauer at uni-jena.de
Wed Jul 26 12:48:50 CEST 2006

Dear GEOQUS-members,

I have a little problem. The model that should be created has a dimension of
1800x1800x760 km (l w h ). This model should show vertical deformations by
airmass). The vertical displacement is only determined of several singular
places. So only the nearer proximity of the places is viewed.
Now the question: Should this model be calculated spherical?
The most papers says – no. f. e.:

Wolf, D. (1984). The relaxation of spherical and flat Maxwell Earth models
and effects due to the presence of the lithosphere. J. Geophys., 56,
24-33.

Amelung, F. and Wolf, D. (1994). Viscoelastic perturbations of the Earth:
significance of the incremental gravitational force in models of glacial
isostasy. Geophys. J. Int., 117 (3), 864-879.

Wu, P. and Johnston, P. (1998). Validity of using flat-earth finite
element models in the study of postglacial rebound. In P. Wu, editor,
Dynamics of the Ice Age Earth: A Modern Perspective, pages 191-202. Trans
Tech Pub., Zurich, Switzerland.

Wu, P., Z. Ni & G. Kaufmann, Postglacial Rebound with Lateral Heterogeneities :
from 2D to 3D modeling.in "Dynamics of the Ice Age Earth: A Modern Perspective"
edited by P.Wu, Trans Tech Publ., Switzerland, p.557-582 (1998).

But someone gave me some doubts. If you have other papers or results for
modeling with flat earth please send them to me.

Cheers,
André Gebauer