[Geoqus] On Partially Saturated Flow

bsaad at po-box.mcgill.ca bsaad at po-box.mcgill.ca
Mon May 14 19:49:44 CEST 2007

Please give me your comments on the matter below

- Traditionally Soil Water Retention (Characteristic) curve is given in
terms of the relation between the volumetric water content VWC and the
suction.Now as you know ABAQUS needs the SWCC data in terms of Degree
of saturation (S) and suction therefore (and as I have low potential
swelling soils) I can find S given VWC from the simple relation
VWC= Sn where S is the degree of saturation and n is the porosity. If
this is ok , which porosity one has to choose if one needs the SWCC
data for Consolidation study purpose and if one wants to get the SWCC
in terms of Saturation and not in terms of VWC  is an addressable
matter.
- In the commercial softwares performing Consolidation analysis of
Partially Saturated Soils such as ABAQUS, the analyst inputs only one
SWCC data (which ,in my opinion, could correspond to the initial void
ratio).  After that the SWCC function will operate through out the
Consolidation analysis (for infinite number of void ratio).This implies
that SWCC is inherent characteristic of the soil and it doesnot depend
on the the void ratio.
Thank you Bassam