[Geoqus] World Stress Map Project - Newsletter

oliver.heidbach at gpi.uni-karlsruhe.de oliver.heidbach at gpi.uni-karlsruhe.de
Fri Aug 1 17:43:18 CEST 2008

Dear Colleague,

we are glad to inform you that the World Stress Map project has
released an updated database, extended software tools for stress
map generation, new guidelines for stress data analysis and quality
assignment, and an update of the quality ranking scheme. For
detailed information and downloads please visit our website at:

http://www.world-stress-map.org

As the project is an international collaboration we would like to
thank all contributors for their support. Without their contributions
the project could not have been successful. For this database release
we would like to thank in particular Gulam Babayev, Rima Chatterjee,
Cecilia Guzman, Tobias Hergert, Marek Jarosinsksi, Rosalind King,
Tanja Titzschkau, Katrin Plenkers, Marcel Thielmann, Nino Tsereteli,
and John Townend for  major stress data contributions or co-work on
stress data analysis. Furthermore we would like to thank the companies
Daleel Petroleum, Premier Oil, Karasu, and BP for their support.

Besides an increase of almost 6000 new data records we accomplished a
number of important issues:

- WSM database 2008 in Google Earth format:
  With this new tool you can easily check your region of interest for
  stress data using Google Earth. A mouse click on an individual data
  symbol will open a window with all information available.

- Updated quality ranking:
  We refined the quality ranking scheme for stress data records from
  breakout data (image or caliper logs) and for stress information
  derived from focal mechanism solutions.

- New guidelines:
  We now provide guidelines for the analysis and quality assignment of
  stress data from borehole breakouts (image or caliper logs), focal
  mechanism solutions (formal inversion, single, average, composite),
  and overcoring.

- Extended filter options in CASMO:
  For our web-based database interface CASMO we significantly extended
  the filter options for data records derived from single focal mechanism
  solutions (FMS) and for tectonic regime selection.

- Automatic delivery of full references:
  The CASMO service on our website for user-defined stress map
  generation now attaches the full reference list for all data records
  of the requested stress map as a pdf-file.

- New CASMI version 2.0:
  We updated and extended our stress map software CASMI. Besides a
  number of bug fixes CASMI version 2.0 includes significantly extended
  filter options in particular for single focal mechanism solutions
  (FMS). The new WSM database release 2008 as well as a new smoothing
  algorithm for stress data is included.

- New ISO codes for data records:
  We reassigned the ISO-codes and country names for all data records
  in order to account for changes. For those of you that have problems
  with the new ISO-code we offer an update service that relates the old
  to the new ISO-codes.

- World Stress Map conference 2008:
  The third WSM conference will take place at the GFZ Potsdam, Germany,
  from 14.-17. Oct. 2008 (http://www.world-stress-map.org/conference).
  This conference is the final event of the WSM project as a project of
  the Heidelberg Academy of Sciences and Humanities located at the
  Geophysical Institute (Karlsruhe University, Germany) after 13 years.
  However, at the same time the conference is the start of the WSM as
  a project of the GFZ Potsdam (www.gfz-potsdam.de).

Visit our website (http://www.world-stress-map.org) in order to get more
details on the news, updates, and additional services we offer.

With best regards from the WSM Team

World Stress Map Project of the
Heidelberg Academy of Sciences and Humanities

at the
Geophysical Institute
University Karlsruhe

Hertzstr. 16