[Geoqus] AGU Special Session G09: Volcano Geodesy

Tim Masterlark masterlark at geo.ua.edu
Mon Aug 3 23:50:03 CEST 2009

Dear Colleagues,

Please consider contributing to special session G09 at the AGU Fall 2009
Meeting in San Francisco:

Geodesy-G09: Volcano Geodesy: Monitoring and Modeling

Measurements of crustal deformation (including borehole strain, GPS, and
InSAR) and gravity change uncover the spatial and temporal patterns of
subsurface structure and activity associated with volcano unrest.
Quantifying the underlying processes that control deformation and gravity
change is of fundamental importance due to implications for volcanic
hazards and is usually accomplished through forward or inverse models
which link observations to the underlying processes.

This session emphasizes the range of modern geodetic tools and models
applied to magmatic systems. We hope to stimulate discussion and interest
in the application of modern and emerging tools and techniques to motivate
greater use in the study of volcanic systems. Further, we seek to
highlight geodetic modeling techniques, emphasizing those that incorporate
realistic rheology and structure, elucidate the time-dependence of
deformation, and integrate multiple observation types, with the
fundamental goal of advancing our understanding of volcanic processes.

Conveners:

Maurizio Battaglia
Sapienza-University of Rome; USGS, Volcano Hazards Team
USA
battag at seismo.berkeley.edu

Mike Lisowski
USGS, Cascade Volcano Observatory
USA
mlisowski at usgs.gov

Tim Masterlark
The University of Alabama
USA
masterlark at geo.ua.edu

Andrew V Newman
The Georgia Institute of Technology
USA
anewman at gatech.edu

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact any of the
conveners. Kindly forward this message to any of your colleagues who might
be interested. We look forward to seeing  you in December!

-Tim
Dr. Tim Masterlark
Dept. of Geological Sciences
The University of Alabama