[Geoqus] Modeling footwall uplift in ABAQUS

goteti rajesh gsrajesh at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 18 00:09:58 CEST 2011

Dear Users,

           I am trying to develop a simple model in ABAQUS: A 3D rectangular block has a single normal fault surface embedded in it which is defined as a frictional contact. When this block is stretched perpendicular to the fault strike, I can clearly see slip on the normal fault. But all of the slip is being accommodated by hanging wall subsidence as I do not have isostasy in my models. I would like to incorporate isostatic rebound into the model.

           Some of you may have incorporated isostasy (or a proxy of it) to simulate footwall uplift of a normal fault using ABAQUS. Could someone please advise me on the best way to go about doing this. Secondly, if you are aware of any ABAQUS CAE tutorial with geological examples, kindly let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Rajesh