[Geoqus] Call for Abstracts: GSA-GV Session on Induced Seismicity

Oliver Heidbach heidbach at rs2.gfz-potsdam.de
Fri May 13 10:48:08 CEST 2011

Dear colleagues,

We invite abstracts for talks and posters for the Theme Session on
"Induced seismicity - from observation to geomechanical understanding"
that we are organizing at the Conference "Fragile Earth" in Munich,
Germany, 4.-7. Sept. 2011. A description of the session is included below.
Invited speaker for our session is Serge Shapiro.

Please note that the deadline for abstract submission is the 25th of May.
The official web address for the meeting including links for registration
and abstract submission is http://www.geosociety.org/meetings/2011munich/

We are looking forward seeing you in Munich.
Best regards

Birgit Mueller (Landesforschungszentrum Geothermie, KIT, Karlsruhe)
Oliver Heidbach (GFZ Potsdam)

Session description:
Induced seismicity in geothermal and hydrocarbon reservoirs is a well
known phenomenon. This seismicity is in particular related to stimulation
activity to enhance the productivity of the reservoir, but also to normal
production on long time scales. Also the filling, as well as  changes in
the impoundment level of reservoirs have been shown to induce or trigger
seismicity. However, our understanding of the physical processes and their
dependence on the structural setting of the reservoir is still limited.
In particular it is unclear how to control the magnitude of the induced
earthquakes. Public awareness and concern of induced seismicity has become
ubiquitous in locations where subsurface exploration and storage is
carried out in close proximity to communities. Furthermore, plans for
massive CO2 sequestration and storage of radioactive waste in depth have
also to be assessed in terms of critical changes of the stress field.

The session is addressing both research fields; observation and analysis of
the induced seismicity in time and space as well as geomechanical, numerical
modelling of the processess that control the spatio-temporal evolution of
the stress field. These research field includes topics such as temporal
variations of physical parameters in reservoirs including stress and
pressure changes, spatial-temporal patterns of seismicity, b-value changes,
source mechanisms, relative importance of thermal and fluid induced stress
changes and pore-pressure stress coupling. In particular we envision to
foster the discussion on the following questions: What controls the large
magnitudes events? Is it possible to control via production/stimulation
parameters the maximum magnitude? Do pre-existing faults that are critically
stressed prior to underground activity control he earthquake magnitudes?
How can we relate our observations of induced seismicity and our
geomechanical understanding and model results into a reservoir site
specific seismic hazard assessment?