[Geoqus] EGU 2012 - Subduction dynamics from surface to deep mantle

Susanne Buiter susanne.buiter at ngu.no
Mon Jan 9 10:43:12 CET 2012

(with apologies for multiple postings)

Dear colleagues,

With the abstract deadline of 17 January approaching fast we would like
to encourage you to submit an abstract to our EGU session on subduction
zone dynamics:

GD5.1/GMPV6.2/SM2.2/TS6.5
Subduction dynamics from surface to deep mantle

Invited presenters:
Thorsten Becker (University of Southern California),
Saskia Goes (Imperial College London, UK), and
Dapeng Zhao (Tohoku University, Japan).

Abstract submission:
http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2012/session/9116
EGU General Assembly in Vienna: 22 to 27 April 2012
Deadline for abstract submission: 17 January 2012

We look forward to discussing subduction dynamics with you!
Susanne, Francesca, and Jeroen

GD5.1/GMPV6.2/SM2.2/TS6.5
Subduction dynamics from surface to deep mantle
Conveners: Susanne Buiter, Francesca Funiciello, and Jeroen van Hunen

Subduction drives plate tectonics, forms continents, and transports
surface material to the deep Earth. Therefore, it is arguably the most
important geodynamical and geochemical phenomenon on Earth.
Seismological data show a fascinating range in shapes of subducting
slabs with structures interpreted as resulting from roll-over, buckling,
dripping, draping or avalanching through the base of the upper mantle.
Arc volcanism illustrates the complexity of geochemical and petrological
phenomena associated with subduction. Surface topography provides
insight in the orogenic processes related to subduction and continental
collision. Numerical and laboratory modelling studies have successfully
reproduced many of these shapes and processes, but with different
technical approaches, set-ups, inputs and material properties, and a
consistent picture has so far not emerged. In this session, we aim to
follow subducting lithosphere on their journey from the surface down
into the Earth's mantle.

Examples of questions we seek to address are: How does subduction
initiate? What is the role of phase transitions and the migration of
fluids and melts? Which are the controlling parameters for slab dip
angle? What is the fate of subducted crust, sediments and volatiles?
What is the importance of subducting seamounts, LIPs, and ridges? How do
near-surface processes influence the dynamics of slabs in the mantle?
What is the influence of the mantle wedge and the back-arc on slab
dynamics? How does slab break-off occur? How are mantle wedge
geodynamics and geochemistry linked? Can we improve imaging of
present-day subduction zones and surrounding mantle flow?

With this session we aim to further our knowledge about subduction
processes by combining insights from many different approaches.
Therefore, we invite contributions from a wide range of disciplines,
including and certainly not limited to geodynamics, modelling,
geochemistry, mineralogy, petrology and seismology, to discuss
subduction zone dynamics at all scales from the surface to the lower
mantle.