[HGI-News] Disputation am Mittwoch, 07.07.2004

hgi-news at lists.ruhr-uni-bochum.de hgi-news at lists.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Di Jul 6 15:08:13 CEST 2004

			        Thomas Wollinger
		   Lehrstuhl für Kommunikationssicherheit

			         DISPUTATION
			         -----------

		“Software and Hardware Implementation of
		   Hyperelliptic Curve Cryptosystems”

                       Mittwoch, 7.7.2004, 14:15
			         IC 02 Raum:150

Abstract

The hyperelliptic curve cryptosystem is one of the emerging  cryptographic
primitives of the last years. This system offers the same  security as
established public-key cryptosystems, such as those based on  RSA or
elliptic curves, with much shorter operand length. Consequently,  this
system allows highly efficient computation of the underlying field
arithmetic. However, until recently the common belief in industry and in
the research community was that hyperelliptic curves are out of scope  for
any practical application. The reason being the complex group  operation
leading to a worse overall performance compared to established  public-key
primitives.

The thesis at hand is a step towards the practical use of hyperelliptic
curve cryptosystems (HECC) by narrowing the performance gap between
elliptic curve (EC) and hyperelliptic curve cryptosystems. We were able  to
reduce the complexity of the group operation for small genus  hyperelliptic
curves and we provide efficient algorithms for the  computation of the
hyperelliptic curve cryptosystem. Our theoretical  comparison between
elliptic curve and hyperelliptic curve cryptosystems,  as well as our
software and hardware implementations show that the  performance of both
cryptographic primitives are in the same range.  Surprisingly, the
hyperelliptic curve cryptosystems even outperforms  elliptic curves using
certain curve parameters. The implementations we  investigated range from a
general purpose processor to a variety of  different embedded processors,
and also include the prototype  implementation of a hyperelliptic curve
coprocessor on FPGAs. We also  analyzed the parallelism of the scalar
multiplication on three different  levels to find the optimal architecture
for a hyperelliptic curve  cryptosystem. We wrote a software tool for the
simulation of the  different architecture options. Our main finding is that
architectures  based on the inversion-free formulae should be preferred
compared to  those using group operations containing inversions.

Gutachter:

Prof. Dr. Dr.h.c. Gerhard Frey
Prof. Dr. Christof Paar

EMAIL-VERTEILER: Wenn Sie Vortragsankündigungen auch in Zukunft per
Email erhalten wollen, können Sie hier
http://www.hgi.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/deutsch/newsletter/
unseren Newsletter abonnieren.

ANFAHRT: Eine Wegbeschreibung zum IC Gebäude der RUB ist hier zu finden:
http://www.crypto.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/contact.html

VORTRÄGE IM SS 2004:
(Abstracts sind hier:
 http://www.crypto.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/ge/seminar/hgi_sose04.html)

 19.04.2004, Marc Stevens, ITSC - RUB, 13.00 c.t. IC 4/39,,
 "Arithmetic on Hyperelliptic curves of genus 1 and 2"

 26.04.2004, Jonathan Hammell, COSY - RUB, 13.00 c.t. IC 4/39,
 "Recognition in a Low-Power Environment"

 03.05.2004, Kai Schramm, COSY - RUB, 13.00 c.t. IC 4/39,
 "Internal Collisions in AES"

 17.05 Christian Tobias, JLU Gießen, 13.15 hrs. IC 4/39,
 "Design und Analyse kryptografischer Bausteine auf nicht-abelschen
Gruppen"

 24.05 Jamshid Shokrollahi, Uni Paderborn, 13.15 hrs. IC 4/39,
 "Unifying structures for polynomial and normal bases"

 31.05 no seminar (Holiday: Pfingsmontag)

  7.06 Lars Pontow, COSY Group -RUB, 13:15 hrs. IC 4/39,
 "Elliptic Curve Cryptography as a Case Study for Hardware/Software
Codesign"

 14.06 Kerstin Lemke, COSY Group -RUB, 13.15 hrs. IC 4/39,
 "DPA on n-bit sized Boolean and Arithmetic Operations and its
application to IDEA, RC6 and the HMAC-Construction"

 16.06 Eike Kiltz, Lehrstuhl Mathematik und Informatik -RUB, 13:30 hrs.  NA
1/58 (Friedrich-Sommer Raum)
"Secure Constant Round Multi-Party Computation for Equality, Comparison  and
Bits"

 21.06 Howon Kim (ETRI-Korea), COSY Group -RUB, 13.15 hrs. IC 4/39,
"Hyperelliptic Curve Coprocessors on FPGA"

 28.06 Werner Schindler, BSI, 13:15 hrs, IC 4/39
"Über die Modellierung und Analyse physikalischer
Zufallszahlengeneratoren"

  5.07 Mark Manulis, NDS Group -RUB, 13:15 hrs. IC 4/39,
 "Pseudonym Generation Scheme for Ad-Hoc Group Communication"

  7.07 Thomas Wollinger, COSY Group -RUB, 14:15. IC 02/150
"Software and Hardware Implementation of Hyperelliptic Curve
Cryptosystems"

 12.07 TBA

 19.07 TBA

 26.07 John Malone-Lee, University of Bristol, 13:15 hrs.
  "A General Construction for Simultaneous Signing and Encrypting"

M.Tech. Sandeep Kumar
Chair for Communication Security
Dept. of Electr. Eng. & Information Sciences
Ruhr-University Bochum
44780 Bochum, Germany