[HGI-News-de] HGI Seminar Do. 10. Apr.: "Distributed Trust Models in Community Networks"

Newsletter des Horst Görtz Instituts hgi-news-deutschland at lists.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mi Apr 9 11:06:35 CEST 2008

Hallo,

im Rahmen des HGI-Seminars "Aktuelle Themen der IT-Sicherheit" wird
am kommenden Donnerstag der folgende Vortrag angeboten:

Jesse Walker (Intel Corporation, USA):
"Distributed Trust Models in Community Networks"

Termin:
Donnerstag, der 10. April um  11.00 Uhr
Raum: IC 4/161.

Alle Interessierte sind herzlich eingeladen!

Zusammenfassung:

Traditionally manufacturers have treated device introduction and direct
device-to-device authentication as afterthoughts, if at all. Mobility, ad hoc
networking, meshes, ubiquitous computing, and other unmanaged networks have
given urgency to the consideration of first class features to address these
problems. In this talk, we examine reasons why the centralized authentication
systems fall short for these new classes of networks and suggest some
foundations for a distributed trust model to address these issues. We argue that instead of a simple label, an identity signifies a relationship the named entity has with the community. We describe a PGP-like paradigm in which every member can serve as a root to enroll and authenticate devices for the community.
Members of the community share certificates they issue with each other, as well as other evidence relevant to identification. We illustrate our ideas with a technique we call identity laundering, to introduce device using existing relationships in other communities.

Informationen über die nächsten geplannten Vorträge im Rahmen des
HGI-Seminars sind auch im Web zu finden:
http://www.hgi.rub.de/deutsch/lehrangebot/seminar/ss2008.html

Gruß,
Biljana Cubaleska