[HGI-News-de] HGI Seminar Fr. 11. Apr.13.00 Uhr: " Perf. Secure Password Protocols in the BR Model" von G. Di Creszenzo

Newsletter des Horst Görtz Instituts hgi-news-deutschland at lists.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mi Apr 9 11:28:59 CEST 2008

Hallo,

im Rahmen des HGI-Seminars "Aktuelle Themen der IT-Sicherheit" wird
am kommenden Freitag ein unser Gast Giovanni Di Crescenzo vortragen.
Beachten Sie bitte die *geänderte Zeit und Raum* (wegen des Extra-Termins)!

*Giovanni Di Crescenzo (Telcordia Research, NJ,USA):
"Perfectly Secure Password Protocols in the Bounded Retrieval Model "

Freitag, den 11. April um  13.00 Uhr
Raum: IC 4/39-41.*

Alle Interessierte sind herzlich eingeladen!

Abstract:

We introduce a formal model, which we call the /Bounded Retrieval Model/,
for the design and analysis of cryptographic protocols remaining secure against intruders that can retrieve a limited amount of parties' private memory. The underlying model assumption on the intruders' behavior is supported by real-life physical and logical considerations, such as the inherent superiority of a party's local data bus over a /remote/ intruder's bandwidth-limited channel, or the detectability of voluminous resource access by any /local/ intruder. More specifically, we assume a fixed upper bound on the amount of a party's storage retrieved by the adversary. Our model could be considered a non-trivial variation of the well-studied Bounded Storage Model, which postulates a bound on the amount of storage available to an adversary attacking a given system.
In this model we study perhaps the simplest among cryptographic
tasks: user authentication via a password protocol. Specifically, we study the problem of constructing efficient password protocols that remain secure against offline dictionary attacks even when a large (but bounded) part of the storage of the server responsible for password verification is retrieved by an intruder through a remote or local connection. We show password protocols having satisfactory performance on both /efficiency/ (in terms of the server's
running time) and /provable security/ (making the offline dictionary attack
not significantly stronger than the online attack). We also study the tradeoffs between efficiency, quantitative and qualitative security in these protocols.
All our schemes achieve /perfect security/ (security against
computationally-unbounded adversaries). Our main schemes achieve the interesting efficiency property of the server's lookup complexity being much smaller than the adversary's retrieval bound.

Informationen über die nächsten geplannten Vorträge im Rahmen des
HGI-Seminars sind auch im Web zu finden:
http://www.hgi.rub.de/deutsch/lehrangebot/seminar/ws200708.html

Gruß,

Biljana Cubaleska