[HGI-news-int] HGI Seminar on March 20th: "Reverse-Engineering Cryptographic Hardware" by C. Nohl (Univ. of Virginia)

English Newsletter of the Horst Gö rtz Institute of IT Security in Bochum hgi-news-international at lists.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Mar 14 16:16:36 CET 2008

Hallo,

we would like to invite you to a very interesting presentation taking
place in the framework of the research seminar of the Horst-Görz
Institute for IT Security (Ruhr-University Bochum, Germany) next week:

Speaker: *Karsten Nohl (University of Virginia, USA)*
Title: *From Silicon to C: Reverse-Engineering Cryptographic Hardware*
Abstract: Please see below
Time: *Thursday, March 20th, 11.00 am*
Place: *HGI at Ruhr-University Bochum, Building IC, 4th floor, Room 161.*

For more information see _http://www.hgi.rub.de/index_en.html_

You can find directions and hotel recommendations on _http://www.trust.rub.de/home/contact/

_If you have any further Questions please don't hesitate to contact us.

******************************************************************************************************************************

Karsten Nohl, University of Virginia, (USA)
Title: "From Silicon to C: Reverse-Engineering Cryptographic Hardware"

Abstract:
This talk looks at the possibility of reverse-engineering proprietary algorithms from hardware. I present a mostly automated approach to reconstructing functionality by using a combination of image analysis of circuits and protocol analysis. The cryptography my approach finds on a widely deployed "secure" RFID token has several vulnerabilities including weaknesses in the random number generator and very low resistance against brute-force attacks. I will further raise the question of how small cryptography can be implemented and present our design for a small hash function that reuses circuitry already found on RFID tags.

We are lookong forward on your comming!

Best regards,
Biljana Cubaleska

Dipl.-Ing Biljana Cubaleska