[Biomedical-cybernetics] JOBS: PhD Positions in Genome-Scale Proteomics, Imaging-based Screening and Cancer Biology

Rune Linding rune.linding at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 10:18:31 CET 2012

PhD Positions in Genome-Scale Proteomics, Imaging-based Screening and
Cancer Biology
[image: DTU Jobs and Careers]

The Cellular Signal Integration Group (C-SIG),http://
www.lindinglab.org, is
a network biology research group located at the Department of Systems
Biology at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU). Our department
represents one of the largest network biology centers in academia and
has a
highly multi-disciplinary profile. In our lab, we explore biological
systems by both generating high-throughput data and developing and
deploying algorithms aimed at predicting cell behavior with accuracy
similar to that of weather or aircraft models. A major focus is on
studying
cellular signal processing and decision-making during cancer
progression.

*Job description
*Two PhD positions are available in the Linding Lab. Prof Dr Linding
is a
world-leading network biologist whose laboratory is interested in the
mechanisms by whi¬ch cells use signaling networks to respond and adapt
changes in their environment. We are seeking highly motivated, bright
researchers to join our highly dynamic, productive and stimulating lab.

In these positions, the successful applicants will work in a fast-paced
dynamic environment, performing large-scale integrative studies to
advance
research into biological and complex systems in order to develop a new
understanding of evolution and therapies for human diseases.

We are seeking experienced and motivated PhD students to work on
projects
related to our recent studies on phosphorylation networks and network
medicine(Creixell et al. 20012 Nature
Biotechnology<http://www.lindinglab.org/Publications/lindinglab-dtu/copy11_of_paper-template

, Erler & Linding Cell
2012<http://www.lindinglab.org/Publications/lindinglab-dtu/copy9_of_paper-template

,Bakal, Linding et al. Science
2008<http://www.lindinglab.org/Publications/lindinglab-icr-2008-present/copy3_of_paper-template

, Tan et al. Science
2009<http://www.lindinglab.org/Publications/lindinglab-icr-2008-present/copy6_of_paper-template

and Tan et al. Science
2011<http://www.lindinglab.org/Publications/lindinglab-dtu/copy18_of_paper-template

and Jørgensen et al. Science
2009<http://www.lindinglab.org/Publications/lindinglab-icr-2008-present/copy12_of_paper-template
 >).The
projects involve different combinations of RNAi screening,
mass-spectrometry, NGS/genomics and large-scale cell culturing. By
combining computational modelling with genomics, quantitative
phospho-proteomics and high-throughput imaging we aim to perform global
modeling of biological systems and to systematically investigate
dysregulation of signaling networks in cancer.

*Qualifications
*Candidates should hold a MSc degree in systems biology, molecular
biology,
computer science, physics or chemistryor another relevant field, and
have
experience in cell biology. Experience in large-scale/systems studies is
desirable. Experience in mammalian tissue culture, cell imaging,
genomics,
signal transduction, bioinformatics, programming, mass-spectrometry and
quantitative proteomics or phospho-proteomics is a distinct advantage.
Experience with LINUX and HPC technical computing is an advantage.

The candidate must be keen to generate, analyze and computationally
handle
large-scale quantitative data to reach a deeper understanding of
biological
question at hand. Applicants should be able to work independently and to
plan and carry out complicated tasks, while also being part of a large
and
dynamic group. Good communication skills in English, both written and
spoken are required.

*Approval and Enrolment
*The scholarships for the PhD degree are subject to academic approval,
and
the candidates will be enrolled in one of the general degree
programmes of
DTU. For information about the general requirements for enrolment and
the
general planning of the scholarship studies, please see the DTU PhD
Guide<http://www.dtu.dk/English/education/Phd_Education/PhD_guide.aspx>
.

*Salary and appointment terms
*The salary and appointment terms are consistent with the current
rules for
PhD degree students. The period of employment is 3 years.

*DTU offers
*The C-SIG lab is part of the Center for Biological Sequence Analysis
(CBS)
at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU). CBS represents one of the
largest systems and computational biology centers in academia and has a
highly multi-disciplinary profile. DTU strives for academic excellence,
collegial respect and freedom tempered by responsibility. DTU is a
leading
technical university in Europe and ranks with the best universities in
the
world. We offer a highly attractive training environment and the
opportunity to take part in a frontier research program combating
cancer.

*Further information*
Further information may be obtained from Prof Rune Linding, +45 2365
1941
or linding at cbs.dtu.dk or from center administrator Dorthe Kjærsgaard,
+ 45
4525 2480 or dorthek at cbs.dtu.dk

You can read more about Rune Linding’s Research Group at
http://www.lindinglab.org.

*Application
*We must have your online application by *31 January 2013*.

Applications must be submitted as *one pdf file* containing all
materials
to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply
online,"
fill in the online application form, and attach *all your materials in
English in one pdf file*. The file must include:

   - A letter motivating the application (cover letter, max 1 page)
   - Curriculum vitae
   - Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma
   - Excel sheet with translation of grades to the Danish grading system
   (see guidelines and excel spreadsheet
here<http://www.dtu.dk/upload/administrationen%20-%20101/afi/phd/grades_uk.xls

   )

Please *do not* include reprints of already published papers in your
application. The material that should be given consideration in the
assessment must be attached.

Candidates may apply prior to obtaining their master's degree, but
cannot
begin before having received it.

All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability,
religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.

[image: Apply for this job
online]<http://ssl1.peoplexs.com/Peoplexs22/CandidatesPortalNoLogin/ApplicationForm.cfm?PortalID=946&VacatureID=548484&CustomerCode=DTU1

--

Rune Linding - Research Group Leader, Professor, PhD

Cellular Signal Integration Group (C-SIG) - http://www.lindinglab.org

Center for Biological Sequence Analysis (CBS) - http://www.cbs.dtu.dk

Department of Systems Biology - Technical University of Denmark (DTU)

Building 301, DK-2800 Lyngby, DENMARK - Phone: +45 2365 1941

$CURRENT_TIMEZONE=CET

$CURRENT_EVENT_HORIZON=2Weeks