[Biomedical-cybernetics] #2 reason for submitting an abstract for this year’s conference is…

Guastello, Stephen stephen.guastello at MARQUETTE.EDU
Fri Apr 29 04:30:33 CEST 2016

Stephen J. Guastello, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Marquette University
P. O. Box 1881, Milwaukee, WI 53201-1881 USA
Editor-in-Chief, Nonlinear Dynamics, Psychology, and Life Sciences

From: sctpls-request at lists.umbc.edu <sctpls-request at lists.umbc.edu> on behalf of Guastello, Stephen <stephen.guastello at marquette.edu>
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2016 8:30 PM
To: sctpls at lists.umbc.edu
Subject: [sctpls] The #2 reason for submitting an abstract for this year’s conference is…

The #2 reason for submitting an abstract for this year’s conference is…
Because if WE don’t discover what WE are doing, who will?

CALL FOR ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS, SYMPOSIA, AND POSTERS
 To present at the
Society for Chaos Theory in Psychology & Life Sciences
26th Annual International Conference
29-31 JULY, 2016
UNIVERSITY OF UTAH, SALT LAKE CITY, UT USA

Submissions deadline is April 30, 2016
Celebrating 25 years!
Submit your abstract(s) online:
http://www.societyforchaostheory.org/conf/2016/cfp

This is not your father’s chaos theory!
Once again, the conference kicks off with a don't-miss preconference workshop.  And we offer a wonderful new workshop model of consultative-style methods workshops.

Ramp up your act with our Dynamic Workshop Facilitators:

 Jonathan Butner, Ph.D.  My training is actually as a traditional social and quantitative psychologist, but I have spent my career integrating systems concepts with behavioral data analytic techniques and methodologies.   I publish broadly including on the application of cusp catastrophe models to budget overruns at NASA, the fractal nature of conversations, soft-assembly models of diabetes management in adolescents, and the coordination of affect among couples.  Striving to work with data collected through lab and field experiments, I have expanded the literature on modeling nonlinear and coupled attractor dynamics both with and without oscillatory components.  I specialize in how to adapt common statistical approaches like Regression, Multilevel Modeling, and Structural Equation Modeling, but also experiment with systems specific time series approaches including a variety of fractal analytic techniques (DFA, Wavelet, Spectral Analysis), dimensionality estimates (FNN, Correlation Dimension), and nonlinear tests of causality (Convergent Cross Mapping).

 Adam W. Kiefer, Ph.D.  I am trained as an Experimental Psychologist, and currently serve as an assistant professor of both pediatrics and psychology at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center and the University of Cincinnati. My expertise and interests in both behavioral dynamics and dynamical dis-ease provide for an innovative approach to measuring, modeling and analyzing the complexity of healthy and pathological human behavior, and associated physiologies.

Now for ways you and your work can make a contribution…
We invite scholars and practitioners interested in working together to turn one of the best-kept secrets on the planet into THE WAY to research nonlinear dynamical systems and to develop practice-approaches that will serve the world in areas such as healthcare, education/academia, as well as our social and physical environment. Presentations and conversations will explore practice applications and enhance knowledge of chaos theory, fractals, complex systems and related topics. Over the years, the annual conferences of the Society for Chaos Theory in Psychology & Life Sciences have inspired and supported people from many disciplines to become leaders in theoretical, empirical and practice applications. Steadily, we are building a knowledge base that provides an integrated approach to life sciences, health and wellness, global peace and environmental sustainability.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR ABSTRACTS
Length
·       Abstracts are between 150-250 words for posters, individual papers, short workshops and other alternative formats. Clear connections to nonlinear dynamics, chaos, complexity, fractals or related concepts are important. Include each speaker or author’s organizational affiliation and/or contact information.

 ·       Abstracts for symposia or panel discussions may be longer at up to 500 words. For symposia, it is important to include the content of EACH speaker's contribution. The typical format for a symposium is for all speakers to give presentations with time following for discussion. The typical format for a panel discussion is inquiry-based and dialogic. Please communicate the theme of your research or practice-based applications of nonlinear science within the title of your abstract.

  Content
·       For experimental work, you will want the background, aims and framework, mode of inquiry, methods and samples, outcomes, conclusions and implications to be clear and explicit.

·       For panel discussions, you will want to provide a brief overview of and introduction to the topic, relevant background of panelists and sample questions that will be used to prompt your panel member discussion.

 ·       For symposia or workshops, you will want to describe your current research, the techniques you used for conducting your research and how it applies to nonlinear behavioral, social and/or life science. Please emphasize the skills and new learning that attendees can expect to acquire.

 ·       For all abstracts: Assist the reader in understanding your connection to nonlinear dynamics, chaos, complexity, fractals and/or related concepts. Please highlight the overall value added to your area of practice (e.g., introduces a new method, information, perspective, issue; calls into question, confirms present knowledge or clarifies understanding).

·       Choose a category: The web-submission form allows you to select from the following: 1) Empirical (e.g., presentation of empirical results of a study), 2) Theoretical (e.g., empirically testable theoretical development), 3) Applied (e.g., social, cultural, organizational and/or inter-relational dynamics; business, product and/or marketing development; practice-based applications involving clinical interventions), 4) Quantitative (e.g., computational or statistical modeling), 5) Qualitative (e.g., non-quantitative analysis of empirical data), 6) Philosophical or artistic (e.g., epistemology, philosophy of science, aesthetics, or audio-visual demonstrations).

Additional Information
·        Each person may submit up to two presentations as first author and serve as co-author on additional work submitted by others.

 ·       All presenters are invited to prepare your papers for possible publication in the Society’s peer reviewed research journal Nonlinear Dynamics, Psychology, and Life Sciences. NDPLS uses American Psychological Association (APA) style. Click JOURNAL on the SCTPLS web site to access Instructions for Authors. NDPLS accepts manuscripts all through the year, but please use October 1, 2016 as the target date for submitting to allow us to make up a special Conference Presentations issue.

REGISTRATION for the conference and workshops is now open:
http://www.societyforchaostheory.org/conf/2016/