[Biomedical-cybernetics] Chaos in Coimbra! Submit your abstracts now for INSC 2019!

Guastello, Stephen stephen.guastello at MARQUETTE.EDU
Sun Nov 18 19:16:39 CET 2018

Submit your work to INSC (see submission details at the bottom of this email) and hear our guest speakers’ presentations at the 8th Annual INSC!

The first of our speakers is Dr. José Navarro, from the Department of Social Psychology and Quantitative Psychology at the University of Barcelona.

Title:  How Work Motivation Changes in the Short and Long Term

Abstract: On average, adults spend one-third of their lives at work in western cultures. For this reason, work is a crucial source of human well-being. However, our motivation at work is not always the same but changes from time to time and at different time scales; at short-term if we consider days or weeks, and long-term as well if we consider years and decades. Recent literature has started to pay attention to these changes proposing different psychological mechanisms. In this presentation, I will focus on these changes and the mechanisms involved. In the long term, I will explore how work motivation changes are due to changes in expectancies, personal values, and vocational interests among others. All of these changes can be considered as a natural consequence of a more general process of maturity. In the short term, the picture that research is showing us is clearly more interesting from the point of view of the complexity science; at short-term (i.e., hours, days or weeks), work motivation behaves nonlinearly, presenting continuous ups and downs independently of the task the worker is doing. The mechanisms involved in these changes remain unclear; however, the most likely explanation for these changes is the emotions that work and labor relationship produces continuously. Emotions at work are volatile and their nonlinear dynamics can be considered as the main determinant in work motivation changes. At this point, asking about the dynamic nature of emotions and motivations at work moves us to ask also about the possible functions of these continuous changes as an adaptive response to interacting with the working environment.

Biographical Sketch: José Navarro, PhD, is an associate professor at the University of Barcelona, Spain. His research activity is about work motivation as a dynamic process that evolves chaotically over time, and the interplay between team processes and team tasks as a critical influence on team effectiveness. His research has been published in prominent journals such as Nonlinear Dynamics, Psychology, and Life Sciences, Journal of Organizational Behavior, Human Relations, Journal of Happiness Studies, European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, or Small Group Research. He belongs to the Society for Chaos Theory in Psychology & Life Sciences.
 And don't forget:

The Call for Papers (Abstracts) is open. Submit your abstract(s) electronically at http://sctpls.org/insc/2019/cfp.cgi

November 20, 2018  Early birds will start to receive their notification after this date. Acceptance decisions are sent within two weeks.

January 10, 2019  The submission deadline
Submit early so your travel plans can be made early too!

Kind Regards,

The Conference Committee:

Teresa Rebelo, University of Coimbra, Conference Chair,
David Schuldberg, SCTPLS President,
Stephen Guastello, Marquette University,
Dimitrios Stamovlasis, Aristotle University,
Paulo Renato Lourenço, University of Coimbra,
Isabel Dimas, University of Aveiro