[Biomedical-cybernetics] Chaos in Coimbra! Submit your abstracts now for INSC 2019!

Guastello, Stephen stephen.guastello at MARQUETTE.EDU
Sun Nov 25 21:06:44 CET 2018

Submit your work to INSC (see submission details at the bottom of this email) and hear our guest speakers’ presentations at the 8th Annual INSC!

The second of our speakers is Dr. David Schuldberg, from the Department of Psychology at the University of Montana.

Title:  Self-regulation, variability, and big change: A regime for all seasons

Abstract: This talk discusses three potential features of the behavior of dynamical systems, especially nonlinear ones: Self-regulation, variability, and discontinuous change. Self-regulation. For much of my professional career I have been interested in negative feedback processes, as these have formed an image and touchstone for understanding well-functioning biological systems. Variability. We have long known that self-regulative systems fluctuate and sometimes exhibit complex – in fact, chaotic – behavior while still maintaining a bounded and life-maintaining biological regime (thank you, Ari Goldberger). Sudden change. How does so-called “discontinuous” or “qualitative” change occur, in psychotherapy, spirituality, and political consciousness? How can we characterize it? Those studying nonlinear dynamical systems and their behavior (for example Steve Guastello) have long been interested in catastrophes, bifurcations, surprise, and qualitatively different behavioral regimes. This talk discusses these three cases in the context of modeling well-known as well as yet to be discovered phenomena in psychology and neurosciences. The methodological issue of choosing one’s level of analysis and magnification in this work is emphasized, as well as discovering the precursors of “regime change” in these systems.
Biographical: David Schuldberg is a professor in the Department of Psychology at the University of Montana – Missoula (Montana) and serves as Director of Evaluation for the UM National Native Children’s Trauma Center. He is currently both President and President-elect of the Society for Chaos Theory in Psychology and Life Sciences (SCTPLS). He received his B.A. in Psychology and Social Relations from Harvard University in 1973 and his M.A. and Ph.D. (1981) in Clinical Psychology from the University of California, Berkeley. He joined the faculty of The University of Montana in 1984; he was a visiting Professor in the University of Florence (Italy) Professore di Chiara Fama (“clear fame”) program in 2006. At UM he teaches undergraduate and graduate Psychology courses, supervises graduate students in their clinical work and research, and pursues several lines of research. His research areas include both severe mental illness and positive psychological and physical health, including medical outcomes; serious mental disorders (including the Eating Disorders and PTSD); nonlinear dynamical systems and chaos models of psychological processes, especially using time series data; creativity; psychological assessment and program evaluation; integration of Behavioral Health in Primary Care; and, rural and rural minority health services.
 And don't forget:

The Call for Papers (Abstracts) is open. Submit your abstract(s) electronically at http://sctpls.org/insc/2019/cfp.cgi

November 20, 2018  Early birds will start to receive their notification after this date. Acceptance decisions are sent within two weeks.

January 10, 2019  The submission deadline
Submit early so your travel plans can be made early too!

Kind Regards,

The Conference Committee:

Teresa Rebelo, University of Coimbra, Conference Chair,
David Schuldberg, SCTPLS President,
Stephen Guastello, Marquette University,
Dimitrios Stamovlasis, Aristotle University,
Paulo Renato Lourenço, University of Coimbra,
Isabel Dimas, University of Aveiro