[Geoqus] On Geostatic Step

bsaad at po-box.mcgill.ca bsaad at po-box.mcgill.ca
Fri Mar 23 21:42:50 CET 2007

Does any one have some remarks on how can I establish equilibrium and
get zero displacement out of Geostatic Step. I have avery simple plain
strain (2D) model and I applied the following initial stress that
balances the gravity load of g=-10 m/s^2 operating in z direction
throughout a zone that extends vertically from z=0 to z=100 m

I am estimating the intial vertical stress as follows. I have  the zone
density of 2066 kg/m^3 and therefore bulk unit weight is (2066 * g=-10)
=-20060 N/m^3
the stress at depth of 100 is 100*-20060= -2006000 N/M^2

Therefore Initial Geostatic Stress is

*initial conditions, type=STRESS, geostatic
Ground, -2006000, 0, 0, 100, 0.38, 0
Where 0.38 is the coefficient of earth pressure calculated from
K0=v/1-v  (v is poission ratio).However I am getting ridicules
displacement : in the order of 0.10 m

Background
In fact (in plain strain) the exact geostatic stresses in the body is
done through Calculating stress and displacement fields resulted from
gravity (assuming elastic media) is done through elasticity relations
Inserting initial stresses based on
\sigma_v = \gamma*h, \sigma_h = K*\sigma_v, where h and K are distance
of the calculated point from the surface and Coef earth pressure,
respectively,  is just a very approximate way for the existing stress
field and hence displacement field. One should play with these
approximate field until it becomes very close to the above exact stress
field (calculated based on FE elasticity). This game may regretfully
last hours and hours.