[Geoqus] Ask two questions

Daniel Kurfeß daniel.kurfess at gpi.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu May 15 13:03:37 CEST 2008

Dear Shiyuan Li,
Dear Geoqus list reader (maybe this is of general interest),

As I tested such things a bit by myself, I can share my experiences with
you. Look at the simple test file I attached to this e-mail, especially
the comments inside the input deck. The results fit quite well the
expectations for a "simple shear test" of a Newtonian fluid, except some
boundary effects.

Pay very much attention to the CETOL parameter. Using CREEP behavior for
geoscientific problems and the corresponding material parameters is very
tricky, and -- in my opinion -- often misused, because with the CETOL
tolerance parameter chosen great enough, you can get nearly every
result. Choose CETOL that small that decreasing it by another order of
magnitude won't change the result. This is very often not considered, as
it may increase computation time drastically.

Maybe this will help you a bit. Good luck! :-)

Cheers,
Daniel

PS: What is the "question" behind item a.? ;-)

Shiyuan Li wrote:
> Dear group members : I am a new PhD student in structural geology and
> geomechanics group followed with J.Urai in RWTH.
>
> Now I use Abaqus to simulate the rheology of salt, and during the
> process I have two questions:
>
> a. The power-law amplitude parameter A is a variable of temperature
> which is linearly distributed in space position, and I try to write a
> fortran file to define myself. but it is not easy for me.
>
> b. Salt is viscosity material, but in material property, it seems
> that elasticity must be given then creep can be calculated, but the
> result does not obey the rule of newtonion fluid flow with pure creep
> (no elasticity).
>
> I am indeed in a trouble. Many thanks! Best Regards! Shiyuan Li May

- --
Daniel Kurfeß

Universität Karlsruhe (TH) - Geophysikalisches Institut
Hertzstraße 16, 76187 Karlsruhe, Germany

email: daniel.kurfess at gpi.uni-karlsruhe.de
phone: +49-721-608-4492